My most meaningful conversation with Fr Ted
by Vermin96 (2015-02-27 19:30:02)

In reply to: Fr. Hesburgh, RIP  posted by cousin eddie

I was fortunate enough to speak to him on a few occasions while a student at Notre Dame, and later as an alumnus. My fondest memory was once, coming back from fall or spring break in Puerto Rico, I had the good fortune to sit next to Fr Ted on the American Eagle flight from Chicago to South Bend. What was supposed to be a 20 min flight ended up getting delayed (as was typical back then) and I ended up sitting next to him for 2 hours! We chatted about my family, life growing up in Puerto Rico, and how I was enjoying Notre Dame so far. I asked him of all of his extraordinary accomplishments, which was he most proud of. He told me without hesitation it was being a priest. It was one of the highlights of my time at Notre Dame!

A few years later, he would officiate my best friends' wedding and when I walked into the church for the rehearsal and saw him, he greeted me with a "Que pasa, muchacho!" Fr Ted remembered me from that plane ride back to campus a few years back. What a memory! RIP Fr Ted.