No question that Affleck-Graves is central, but I did hear from a
by CMC Irish (2006-02-22 12:59:45)

In reply to: Leahy resigned under pressure (long)  posted by fisherhall

friend of mine who was a senior in Keenan last year that, the week before the USC game, a group of Keenan guys had dinner with Jenkins. When they asked about Willingham, Jenkins said "Let's just say this is a must-win game for him."

Really they all (Jenkins, Affleck-Graves, and the top dogs in the BOT) deserve lots of credit, both for FB and for their stands in acadmics, both in replacing Hatch and in their stand against the monologues and QFF.

That is the first reference to Hatch being "replaced" that I have
by irishbacker  (2006-02-22 12:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

heard. I can understand his desire to move on with the changes at the top, but are you suggesting that the new guys wanted him out as well? What are the objections to Hatch?

Hatch wasn't forced out, but there is no question that his vision of
by CMC Irish  (2006-02-22 12:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

academics and academic freedom at ND was very pro-VM and the like and anti-Catholic in the theology department. The Jenkins allies and more conservative faculty members didn't like him, but they certainly didn't push him out- he simply got a great offer. The main thing I was referring to was the replacement process. How it worked was the faculty would submit candidates to Jenkins and Jenkins would approve or reject them. They proposed all sorts of people in Hatch's mold and Jenkins rejected a whole slew of them and indeed said he would act as provost unless they gave him someone more in his (that is, Jenkins') mold. Eventually he got his wish.