Mostly good, some very good and a couple of concerns.
by MountainMan (2022-11-27 05:14:52)

The tandem of Ebo & Watson - 30 pts., 13 rebs., 2 blocks & 3 assists. 11 of 16 shooting. KK initially this season no offense, then she breaks out of that and shows she can shoot from mid range, but this is the first game she showed that she can rebound, by getting 9. With Liv in everyone plays better and with far more confidence, she is really that good. (She had six assists and zero turnovers.). First time behind at the end of the half and Live with two fouls, great response. Missed 15 free throws, which had been a strength.
Two for ten from three point line = 20%. Nat played 1:38 seconds more than the two walk on's. Unfortunately, I think that's the way it's going to go for the remainder of the season. Don't be surprised if she transfers. Glad to see a period of time playing zone, we may need that against U Conn.

ASU plays a 4 guard offense
by rjp172  (2022-11-27 19:37:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nat is #4 of a 4 post rotation playing a team that starts/plays 4 guards. Available minutes were limited. ASU posts had enough size/strength and physicality that all ND's post struggled initially.

You've indicated you didn't acutally even watch the game your using to speculate a player transferring and only looked at a boxscore... but even then I can't make sense of why you'd draw that conclusion the 6th game of the year when she has been averaging double digit minutes and contributing after a long recovery from a string of injuries.

I didn't watch the game, but I did listen to it, so it
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 04:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wan't just responding to a box score.

Bingo. Nearly 3 Straight Games Against Undersized Teams
by dillon77  (2022-11-27 20:12:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ball State. American. ASU. As such, Niele reverts to bigs that are working against respective teams and then rounds out the lineup with those that can take up the guards/positionless approach. As such, see more KK.
And, not surprisingly, Soni plays a lot of minutes. Why? She's a guard who can rebound, both on defensive and offensive boards. I thought she'd play the most minutes this year and I'll stick with it.

Agreed. *
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 04:45:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m higher on Marshall than I was before the season started.
by SorinBasement  (2022-11-27 18:34:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought some on this board were being overly optimistic about her in the offseason because we didn’t have much to go on.

When she’s played Nat has shown good athleticism, a nice shooting touch, and a toughness beyond what would be expected with her thin frame. I think she can be a major asset down the road and I look forward to watching her run the floor with Liv, Soni, Maddy, KK, and the freshmen coming in next year.

Between her injuries and lack of playing time over the last
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 04:54:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

three years, she just hasn't been able to develop. You can bet that after all of the hours of difficult work rehabbing and then having to do it all over again that she is yearning to finally play.

Marshall? Thought you loved her. You went there that quick?
by Jon  (2022-11-27 17:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That one sentence seemed really odd and out of character, like somebody hacked your account or something. It was just one game, her leaving is like the last thing I would think about right now.

I do love her and that's the point. My concern is that
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 05:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

her minutes will continue to be very limited and yes that's after this one game. We'll see.

Please don't speculate about transfers
by Kayo  (2022-11-27 17:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all, board rule #27 forbids it; but it's forbidden for good reason. It isn't unusual for online speculation to become rumor, and rumors about transferring can lead fans and/or teammates to question commitment to the team and the program.

Nat Marshall has at least two more years of eligibility, Ebo in her final season of college basketball, and no true bigs in the program or coming into the program behind her. She has a clear path to an important role. All she has to do is stay healthy.

Remember, she's less than a year past her second knee surgery after sitting out the 2020-21 season rehabbing from the first one. We don't know if her minutes need to be limited every few games unless she or her coaches talk about it. Let's resist the urge to fill the information deficit by speculating with worst case scenarios.

By the way I feel like I have been "Ko'd." *
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 14:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rule #27, I certainly wasn't aware that I was breaking any
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 05:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rules, but apparently I did and won't do it again. However, you mention not to speculate, isn't much of what is discussed on this board speculation? You also state that Nat "has a clear path to an important role", referring to Ebo leaving after this year and Nat having two years left. That's my point exactly, she needs to play not just practice, so she can develop. It's only one game, but my concern is that it is more a precursor of what's to come. There is a context to that, based on the two previous years. It seems like you are either in or your out and there is no in between. Nat certainly appears healthy and you can bet she is dying to finally play, but 1:48 seconds isn't going to fill that need, especially when you end up winning by 20 pts.

FWIW, I share your concern
by ram  (2022-11-28 11:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And this was a game Westbeld played only 21 minutes
We’ll see what happens vs MD & UConn

I’d like to see what she is doing in practice

Maddy is also a concern. You think there is an injury, but
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 14:15:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yet she played 21 minutes and had five rebounds and six assists, but only took two shots and scored 3 pts. Puzzling.

Looking forward to Thursday
by ram  (2022-11-27 09:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To get a good look vs a good team

Marshall is a head scratcher-But we don’t see practice so who knows
If she is limited to 2 minutes in close games…

But we were up considerably in the second half and I guess
by MountainMan  (2022-11-27 10:00:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a zone.

Might have gone zone to protect Liv from foul trouble. *
by Luke  (2022-11-27 12:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True. imho- you need both. *
by MountainMan  (2022-11-27 12:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post