Maryland is, essentially, Notre Dame’s first game
by BabaGhanouj (2022-11-28 12:01:58)

Maryland has played South Carolina, Fordham, Baylor, DePaul, and Pitt, losing to South Carolina and DePaul, but beating Fordham, Baylor, and Pitt. They chose to jump right into the fire.

Up until now Notre Dame’s purpose was to build the team’s confidence in playing together. The two teams chose different strategies in starting the season.

For Notre Dame, the season begins now.

Look at Terp Stats: Think Miller, Meyers, Sellers
by dillon77  (2022-11-28 17:41:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Miller leads team in scoring (17.6 ppg) and rebounding (7 rpg).
At 6'3", she -- in effect -- has taken on the role that Angel Reese was starting to establish. There are some differences in my view: Reese was still more of an interior player, whereas Miller is a bit more outward-inwards. Think of her as a taller Jackie Young. She could be a match-up issue if we stay man.

On the other hand, if we get her into foul trouble, bingo...

- Shyanne Sellers is a 6'2" guard who averages 11.3 ppg and her size will also cause some issues. I see Soni taking her on...except for the fact that Miller is around. She's Brad Sellers' daughter and we recruited her for a spell.

- Abby Meyers is averaging 15.3 ppg and shooting 46% from three-point land. She's a six-footer, as well.

The more I think about it, this could be a day we see more than a little zone.

As mentioned below in the Maryland-Pitt recap, lots of transfers.
Here's one more:

- Eliza Pinzan, a senior PG from Italy via South Florida, leads the team in steals and assists. She's 5'8", so if we stay man, I could see Dara matching up with her (Soni or 'Liv can deal with Sellers and/or Meyers).

Our zone gave up a lot of open threes last year. I agree,
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 18:05:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that we should have it in our arsenal. In my opinion two adjustments to improve on the 3 pt. barrage: !. Taller lineup. 2. Don't hedge on the wing shooters with our forwards. (They couldn't then react to the corner shooters last season.).

Agree, A Tad Concerned With MD's Overall Height at Guard
by dillon77  (2022-11-29 07:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That said, there's not a lot of height at forward for them. Masonious is a 6 ft. guard playing power forward. This could be a game that Maddy breaks out.

Maddy is certainly due. She is too good of a player to take *
by MountainMan  (2022-11-29 08:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a back seat.

The game is on ESPN2-usually a sign of a competitive game *
by RISteve  (2022-11-28 16:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly think it will be. *
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 17:02:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bigs vs 3’s
by NOBBYDOMER  (2022-11-28 16:08:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Md is ‘smaller’ and shoots 3’s. We aren’t always solid in 3 defense.

We should do great in the paint and rebounding. We shoot 3’s too….let’s hope M’s on.

Unless we have a bad game, we win by 10+ (for Baba’s you).

Lots of keys & if's: Can Liv & Lauren stay out of early
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 17:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

foul trouble? Can we get a couple of their players in early foul trouble. We now have multiple bigs who should give them trouble and we also now have three slashers, Liv, Sonia & KK. Can Dara get her shot off and if so is she hot? (We all know what that looks like.). Can we pressure their 3 pt. shooters? Can we get our transition game going, which will lead to easy baskets? We were tough last year at home except for that one shocking loss.
There will be runs both ways, but I think we are the better team. Lastly, will Maddy show on offense?

On paper I agree. However, if you leave out American who is
by MountainMan  (2022-11-28 14:11:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

0-5, the remaining five teams we've played are a combined 24-7. Three of the teams only have one loss and for each of them that was to Notre Dame. (California 6-1, Northern Illinois 5-1 & Arizona St. 5-1.). Note: Northern Illinois beat DePaul 86-79 and DePaul beat Maryland 76-67. We clobbered Northern Illinois 88-48. I will say this though, DePaul depends on three point shooting when they are on they can be tough and when they are off they suffer the consequences.

Tough acc break. Ranked opponents away. *
by 2001sorin  (2022-11-28 12:44:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spot On--The intensity level is going to ramp up from here. *
by Luke  (2022-11-28 12:18:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post