Maddy Westbeld's HS Teammate Enters Portal Out of Belmont
by dillon77 (2023-03-21 19:10:32)

Per Raoul:

"Madison Bartley (6-3 JR forward, Kettering, OH) has announced that she's entering her name into the portal, out of Belmont WBB; 2022-23 stats: 14.1 PPG, 5.1 RPG; first-team All-MVC."

Dillon:
- This player looks like a relative of Maddy! I remember watching some HS tapes of Maddy and noting "there's someone that looks just like her." Hello, Madison. Basically, this would be a duplicate of Maddy and unless Niele wants to go with another forward, I can't see it.

However, what makes this interesting is the quote from a Belmont Assistant Coach who is basically sending a major "F+&k Off" to a school/schools that he thinks were reaching out to Ms. Bartely. Take a read below. It will be very interesting to see where Ms. Bartley ends up.

If there was tampering it should be called out...
by Cavanaugh82  (2023-03-22 05:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but not in a tweet by an assistant coach. There were 16 games that day and so he has indirectly called into question the ethics of coaches from 32 teams.

He is also asserting that it is more than one coach, more than one player, and for an extended period of time (all spring, which didn't officially occur until Monday). A lot of implications but no hard facts or direct accusations. I find it unprofessional.

Agreed. *
by MountainMan  (2023-03-22 08:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Walz or McGuff going after her? *
by goirish01  (2023-03-21 22:08:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGuff's daughter is a Sophomore on the Belmont team. *
by hibernianangst  (2023-03-21 22:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are we at the point where coaches can contact
by sixtythreer  (2023-03-21 22:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players on another team and ask them to transfer to the coach's team? Is "tampering" now permitted?

Or does the player have to reach out first?

No, we are not at that point.
by Cavanaugh82  (2023-03-22 04:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've read most of the NCAA publications regarding the transfer portal and coaches are not allowed to initiate contact with players at other schools until that player has officially been entered into the transfer portal database.

Here is a brief step-by-step of the process.

When a player is interested in transferring from a D1 school they are encouraged to do some research on schools that they might be interested to transfer and to know what their school's policy is on handling transfer requests. The Student Athlete (SA) is allowed to contact other school's admissions department, financial aid department, other SAs at the school and they can notify the coach that they are intending to enter the transfer portal but the coach cannot discuss transfer opportunities with them yet.

When the SA decides to enter the portal they notify the compliance officer at their school that they want to enter the transfer portal and the school has 48 hours to enter them into the database. The database includes the SA's name, sport, email address and, if the SA wants it, their telephone number. The SA must also declare whether they want to be contacted or not. Once their name has been entered into the database a confirmation email is sent to them.

Coaches must be given access to the transfer portal by the administrator at the school that includes their email address and password. My recollection is that it is supposed to be one login authorization per sport but I have not been able to locate any official confirmation of that. Coaches can search the database by sport, by conference, by specific name and create watchlists if they desire. They also have access to the list of SA's in the database from their school.

If an SA is in the transfer portal that the coaches are interested in AND the SA has indicated that they are interested in being contacted only then is a coach supposed to be able to contact them.

Other links:

DIVISION I: NOTIFICATION OF TRANSFER: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/Notification_of_Transfer.pdf

NCAA DIVISION I ONE-TIME TRANSFER FAQS: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

NCAA Division I Undergraduate Four-Year Transfer Waiver Process: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DI_UG4YW.pdf

Undergraduate Transfer Rules Quick Tip Sheet For Coaches: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/transfers/D1_TransferRulesQuickTipsCoaches.pdf

Clear, concise, references cited…
by BabaGhanouj  (2023-03-22 09:42:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now, this is posting like a champion today!

Excellent info! Thanks for doing all this legwork *
by drmurray  (2023-03-22 09:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cav82: Thx for Step-by-Step Process on Transfer Portal
by dillon77  (2023-03-22 08:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you. If a current team's coaching staff has information about another team contacting one of its student athletes for the purpose of transferring, it should be called out pronto: via direct channels to the NCAA compliance office.

But to send out a tweet is bush league and, like you said, enflames a whole lot of teams.

Cav 82. Thanks for your summary. * *
by sixtythreer  (2023-03-22 08:36:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post