For those watching UConn-OSU ...
by CJC (2023-03-25 17:37:57)

That last backcourt trap was a great example of how these games are being called.

Without the benefit of a replay, that looked to me like one or both of the defenders fouled the offensive player as she attempted to dribble up court. Instead, it was no foul, and a travel call.

UConn has 22 turnovers in roughly 25 minutes of play.

As I said in Romper Room after the game, this is college basketball today. Add OSU to the list of teams that plays ultra-aggressive defense.

To thrive against teams like that, Notre Dame needs:

a healthy Olivia Miles;
more players in addition to Sonia Citron who can hold up under pressure like that -- hopefully, the continued development of Cass Prosper and KK Bransford and for Hannah Hidalgo who is ready for this kind of game;

And I'd add, the mindset to defeat that kind of play. To me, that starts with confidence that teams cannot disrupt Notre Dame with non-stop pressure and reaching and slapping for the ball. Beyond that, if the players are properly prepared, that they can exploit that kind of defense and turn it into easy points.

Like others have observed, I don't like what that style of play is doing to women's college basketball, but it is what is is. It's not a conspiracy against Notre Dame and it's not going to stop. If anything, it's going to increase, as more coaches mimic such a successful approach.

I believe that Notre Dame will have the physical talent next season to thrive against that kind of approach. I don't fault this year's coaching staff for how we struggled -- injuries and Jenna's Brown ineffectiveness (whether due to lingering effects of injury or otherwise) severely limited ND in that regard.

But they should devote a lot of their offseason work to overcoming that kind of approach -- and not simply hoping that they don't encounter it on the way to the 2024 Final Four.

Good Post. Think Niele Is Recruiting With This in Mind
by dillon77  (2023-03-25 18:23:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tall, athletic, multi-purpose guards who can both press and break presses.

Although she needs a bunch of work on her shot, I thought Cass actually handled pressure of the press pretty well.

KK will only get better, but keeps her cool pretty darn well. Remember, she just finished her freshman year.

Hidalgo can guard like Rikki Harris or Jacy Sheldon of Ohio State: she's a whirling dervish of a defender.

And I have a feeling that Emma Risch will be able to handle anything thrown at her; if not immediately, then shortly thereafter.

Like a few others on this board, I still think we can use some more help in the backcourt: an all-round player who can handle the ball well-enough but stroke it. To join Emma Risch as the weakside player who can make presses pay.

Well, this season could help recruiting
by cbiebel  (2023-03-25 19:43:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ivey's showing what the future could look like. The defense is almost there. Add in some quick offense, and we'll be NC contenders regularly.

Basketball fortune's change in a hurry.
by ndbutch  (2023-03-25 18:13:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ohio State looked DOA during their losing streak.

Two words: Jacy Sheldon
by badelman  (2023-03-25 18:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She’s so key to their team, both offense and defense.

Two More: Cotie McMahon. Just. A. Freshman. *
by dillon77  (2023-03-25 18:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both those players were in the lineup when Maryland beat the
by ndbutch  (2023-03-25 18:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

90-54 or something? They really went on a run at the most important time.

Her too
by badelman  (2023-03-25 18:44:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cotie is such a great player. For me though OSU needs Sheldon (see 6 game skid when she was out), similar to a favorite team of ours needing our PG. Sheldon and McMahon are a fantastic 1-2 punch, and that press is beautiful.

UConn is going to be out
by RISteve  (2023-03-25 18:11:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First time since 2005 they have not been in The Elite 8

Finally the F4 streak ends at 14. That will never be
by Domerduck  (2023-03-25 18:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

repeated again or anyone get close to that. Just like their 11-0 championship record was broken last year so they are now 11-1. You have to respect the consistent excellence Geno and UConn have delivered over so many years.

This year's team was not very athletic
by Jvan  (2023-03-25 18:27:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dorka, Azzi, Lou, and Ducharme are not very good one-on-one defenders. OSU was quicker and more aggressive. All UConn could do was foul them. OSU also forced a boatload of turnovers, so this outcome was no fluke.

UConn should have Bueckers next season but they need more athletic players around her to make another run. I presume they have talent in the lower classes but we'll see how fast those players can be developed.

Meanwhile, I think we should be a Final Four team next season.

Ohio State kind of exposed their defensive shortcomings.
by ndbutch  (2023-03-25 18:39:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The same way that Ole Miss exposed Stanfords quickness shortcomings.

Nice!!! *
by Whaler170  (2023-03-25 18:16:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have thought that after 3 years
by Slotts  (2023-03-25 17:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We would have a plan on how to inbound the balll against a full court press.

They are in a bit of trouble. Down 10 after 3 *
by RISteve  (2023-03-25 17:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post