McBride a Champion Again
by Orangutan (2017-05-17 14:48:31)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Kayla McBride's overseas team, Yakin Dogu, won the Turkish League playoffs today, defeating Candace Parker-led Fenerbache 76-75 in the decisive fifth game of the series.

Fenerbache also has WNBA stalwarts Allie Quigley, Jantel Lavender and Sandrine Gruda, so toppling them was no easy feat.

McBride had 21 pts, 3 ast. in the game.

See the link for a photo of KMac with the trophy.

Happy for her, but I wish things were different...
by Jon  (2017-05-17 15:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That they have to go overseas to make a decent income. It's not fair to them to beat their bodies up nonstop while the men are sipping pina coladas on a boat in their off.

Can't imagine the Cavs starting next year, but Lebron won't be available until he finishes his Euro league.

Wish things were different.

No one's making them play all year. They can play
by rick  (2017-05-20 18:04:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

overseas and make plenty.
What's a "decent" salary to you?

It's not about fairness or equality.
by 2ndstreeter  (2017-05-17 19:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's about the free market. The difference between the years of development, quality and demand for the two products is so vast that they are not comparable in any meaningful way. Go back to the 40's or 50's and compare that level of the NBA to the WNBA if you're looking for quid pro quo.

There is no justification for any kind of entitlement here.

actually if it wasn't for the NBA supporting women's ..
by laboog  (2017-05-17 21:29:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

basketball they would have a tough time keeping the league going(I'm no pro bb fan) Go Irish!

82 games vs. 34
by Blarneyman  (2017-05-17 17:44:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get your point about needing to go overseas to make decent income but I don't think your second point about beating up their bodies more than the men is valid. The NBA season has 82 games while the WNBA has 34 games. I looked at the Euroleague and it looks like there are fewer than 20 games a season there as well. So even if a woman plays in both leagues, their body is still taking less punishment than the men in the NBA.

Number of games + travel
by Orangutan  (2017-05-17 18:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

KMac's team actually won 3 different competitions: Eurocup, Turkish Cup, Turkish League.

There were 26 games in the Turkish regular season plus Yakin Dogu played 10 playoff games. It looks like there were 11 games in the Eurocup - 6 games of group stage and then 5 knockout rounds. The Turkish cup was 3 rounds.

So I make that 50 games that Yakin Dogu played in those 3 competitions. Not sure how many of those KMac played in but it goes to show that a WNBA player playing in Europe could easily reach or exceed 82 games per year.

Then, consider that NBA players are flying on team charters while the WNBA players are flying commercial coach.

If you're going to count playoffs on one side...
by Kayo  (2017-05-18 07:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you have to count playoffs on the other side.

NBA teams that make the finals play four best of seven series in addition to the 82-game schedule, so add something between 16 and 28 games to the tally. It was 21 games for the Cavaliers last year for a total of 103, and the Warriors played 24 playoff games for a total of 106 for the season.

Adding WNBA playoffs to the women's side of the equation means something between 8 and 12 games for each finals participant - two rounds of single elimination and two rounds of best of five.

The travel comparison has some merit, but there are mitigating factors as well. The men have much more travel whivh will take its toll over the course of the season, and half or more of a men's team can't fit into a coach seat.

Ultimately, finances determine the travel arrangements. There isn't enough revenue to support luxury travel when the record attendance is a 7,600 per game average and record TV viewership is a little higher than 200,000 viewers per game. For contrast, the NBA just finished a disappointing national TV season with averages 1.5 million viewers in TNS and 1.9 million viewers on ABC/ESPN; and that doesn't consider each team having local TV contracts that often match the WNBA's national game average viewer count on their own. Also, the worst NBA team's attendnce average this season is 16,095.

Thanks for letting me know
by Orangutan  (2017-05-18 11:31:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I had no idea that the NBA generated more income than the WNBA. I was never good at economics."

Had to borrow that line from our own Brianna Turner.

Anyhow, I'm not saying the women deserve better travel arrangements or whatever just that the travel arrangements that they do have contribute to their bodies getting "beat up".

As to the number of games, my statement was "a WNBA player playing in Europe could easily reach or exceed 82 games per year." It is, of course, correct that players on NBA playoff teams substantially exceed 82 games as well.

My point was that the poster I responded to was substantially understating the number of games a WNBA player who plays in Europe might play, not necessarily that WNBA players play more games than NBA players.

Congrats to Kmac for the various crowns and...
by dillon77  (2017-05-18 06:03:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..recovering from the injury that knocked her out of the WNBA last year.
If she played the majority of the games that you just detailed, she must have come through strong physically and her performances look first-rate.

When she comes back to San Antonio, she'll be needed, given the injuries to both MoJeff and Plum. Currie can use some assistance with the scoring, although Harrison is doing well in the center position.

simple supply and demand
by dbcsmith  (2017-05-17 17:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she has a choice to get a real job like most of the rest of us

Plus most of us wouldnt consider traveling Europe a hardship
by NDoggie78  (2017-05-18 09:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm being a little facetious as I know traveling for "work" is different than traveling for pleasure and becomes a grind. But still the opportunity to access the world is something a lot of us only dream of.

While professional women's sports pay does not equal that of the corresponding men's sports (for all the reasons mentioned here), I'm sure there are many of us that would take the women's salaries in both WNBA and especially Europe when we were that age and do what they are doing

There are downsides other than the pay.
by ndbutch  (2017-05-18 11:57:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loving to play basketball and not wanting to be stuck in a regular job would seem a bigger incentive.

I know it's not all fun and games
by NDoggie78  (2017-05-18 16:02:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well actually it is a game.

My point is, when I was single and in my 20s, if I was offered a "job" playing a sport that paid more than a lot of 20 year olds make starting out AND I got to go to Europe - that would sure sound enticing. I am not saying there wouldn't be downsides of loneliness, language barriers, and culture differences but there would certainly be a lot of opportunities, most 20 year olds don't get to experience, if you embrace them.

Reminder of the overseas experience for KMac
by soc  (2017-05-18 10:18:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This story was published during KMac's first year - quite an experience

Interesting points, but still an opportunity that they chose
by Domerduck  (2017-05-21 12:56:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three of my kids with college degrees had less choices for less money than these athletes. the only one who saw income above that had to go to UCLA law and pay off her law school loans at 80+hour week big law firms. All these girls got their schooling free and playing a game they love.

These aren't choices that require true sacrifice. I believe they are being adequately rewarded for their efforts even if it isn't the same as their NBA counterparts. I wonder what the counterpart male D-league and foreign players who don't have NBA salaries earn which generate similar or greater following as WNBA and women's foreign teams. Those ex-college players do it because they love the game and their talent while their young gives them the option. Doesn't see that different thatn the girl's experiences.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.