New practice facility = better recruiting for women's team?
by drmurray (2017-05-19 07:22:03)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The men's team just scored a huge recruit (see The Pit)

He seemingly came out of nowhere- I don't recall him mentioned anywhere (although I do not follow that closely)

The reason he gave as the deciding factor: the new practice facility.

Think that will help the women's team as well?

= recruiting top Big players ????? *
by Tim Kelley  (2017-05-21 13:24:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. It will help.
by Kayo  (2017-05-19 12:22:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Historically women have less opportunity to play professionally after college and less money to be made than there is today and will be in the coming years. That made the value of the school's name on the diploma a bigger factor for women than men. Most top level MBB recruits want to be developed for a chance at the NBA more than they care about academic pedigree.

As the WNBA gets a higher profile and the European leagues pay the kind of money Diana Taurasi got to play there, player development will become a bigger part of a WBB recruit's decision relative to a school's academic prestige. Facilities are a big part of player development.

Shifting gears... Prentiss Hubb didn't come out of nowhere. Noie listed him in his April 7th recruiting rundown, and ISD had a feature article about him later in April. Both of those articles were linked atop the Pit.

In addition to the articles, the ND Hoops Recruits Twitter feed has talked about Hubb being Notre Dame's #1 recruiting target (re-tweeted from Noie). You don't need a Twitter account to read the posts, just about 30 seconds every now and then. ND Hoops Recruits covers women's recruiting, too.

Hubb made an official visit to ND in April. Noie reported that.

Completion date?
by Dave Winkler  (2017-05-19 11:11:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Originally advertised as being ready for the 2018/19 school year but read somewhere this would be pushed back a year because the new student center will not be ready for use by this August. That of course would delay start of work on the basketball facility. Anyone know if this is true?

Here are the current completion date projections:
by MPG  (2017-05-19 15:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Student Center completed by January 2018
All Game Day Experiential facilities for the wealthy in each building by August 2017
Music and Anthropology facilities by December, 2017
Psychology by May, 2018

So it would be fair to say that renovations for the basketball facility could begin in January 2018 if the funding is in place by then.

I've never been inside of Rolf's.
by ProV1x  (2017-05-20 13:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will the inside of the building have to be completely gutted before renovations? Assuming this would happen what would the major projects be.

A positive feature is the craftsmen and women involved with this work won't have to deal with the weather so it should move right along.

I think they are keeping the current configuration of
by rick  (2017-05-20 17:54:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

courts on the east side and offices/locker rooms/weight rooms on the west. Other than that, they have to gut the interior.

I'm not in the trades, but...
by DavidAddison  (2017-05-20 18:32:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would guess it could be done quickly. A huge portion of the square footage will be the courts, and as you pointed out they are segregated from the stuff on the east, so it would appear everything could be going on at once.

The Crossroads Project.....
by dillon77  (2017-05-19 13:31:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...from what I've heard is running behind, save for the football-related aspects of it. The space for students and the rent-out facilities are a semester-to-a-full year behind.

Couldn't hurt
by mikeybates  (2017-05-19 10:17:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although we already recruit pretty well and have advantages over many other programs in terms of fan interest, TV exposure, academics, etc. It's just kind of unbelievable that we are finally doing this now, rather than 20 years ago, but those are the breaks.

Normally I would blame Davie for the delay
by drmurray  (2017-05-19 11:28:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but in this case, the responsibility for the unfathomable incompetence in delaying this improvement is at a much higher level.

Hard to believe it took this long.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.