You Could Say the Same Thing About Players...
by dillon77 (2017-05-27 08:12:52)
Edited on 2017-05-27 08:17:28

In reply to: If opposites attract, do similarities repel?  posted by BabaGhanouj

...based on comments here and what you can see on the court either in-person and/or on broadcasts. Arike and Marina are very driven players who were -- at least initially -- driven/propelled and perhaps even defined by their individual skill sets. And they mean business...not a lot of touchy feelyness going on.

Like a lot of folks, I found it very obvious during games when Arike would take everything to the hole even though wing shooters were wide open, and Marina would decide she was going to dribble in, through and/or around everyone (although she has a propensity for getting fouled). That does not necessarily mean they didn't like each other but played to what they perceive as their strengths. On the other hand, if you listen to the pressers, MM has set up a lot of plays that allow both of them to do just that. The behavior is reinforced by design.

However, I think both players were also starting to buy into subtle aspects of the team concept as the year went on, with Arike making strong(er) efforts on boxing out and moving her feet a bit more on defense, while Marina would direct the offense and start talking more in the informal huddles about whom should go where.

I'm not sure this comes naturally to her. Michaela is the more loquacious Mabrey (my daughter was in classes with her) and Mike can express herself in any number of ways, from directness to pithy summations and humor that puts people at ease. You could see her influence on and off court. (It's not surprising she's gone into coaching and I think she'll do well there and/or in some communications gig.)

We fans have to hope that both Marina and Arike continue to grow into their upperclassman roles as leaders besides keeping up their obvious talents as scorers. It's needed. Not all leaders need to be demonstrative, but showing they are teammates is a way to show it, as well. It's contagious...as is the opposite.

BTW, my daughter does run into Brianna Turner from time to time and loves Bri's wit and ability to get along with people. She may not be demonstrative on the court, but is probably a strong locker-room presence.

It will be really interesting to see what Lili brings to the mix, even for just one year, and how this team gets along next year.

One can hope that some awareness of this situation has translated into the types of players they're recruiting for 2018 and 2019. I'm guessing the Abby Proshaska recruiting had as much to do with her attitude as anything else.

Have a good Memorial Day everyone.

Replies: