Thoughts on the Jessica Shepard Transfer
by BabaGhanouj (2017-06-02 10:54:06)
Edited on 2017-06-02 12:40:51

• Coming out of high school, I loved her game. She might have been better than her 3 ranking.

• She played with Brianna Turner and Marina Mabrey on the USA U18 dominating gold medal winning team in the 2014 FIBA World Championship in Russia. A’ja Wilson, Napheesa Collier, and Brianna Turner led that team, but Shepard led the team in rebounds with a 12.6 average.

• I believe she desperately wants to play in the WNBA. (i.e. If she does well here, she could possibly graduate/leave after one year.)

• She has been criticized for not being in shape at Nebraska.

• She shot 89 3’s last year, second most on the team, at 31.5%.

• I’m a tiny bit surprised by this transfer since Muffet has repeatedly said she’s very picky in who she is willing to coach. Jessica, for better or worse, will be a project for her. If she can get Jessica in shape, to embrace the necessities of forward or post play, and “to be a beast on the boards”, instead of trying to be a wing, Muffet will earn her salary.

• Because there was a head coaching change at Nebraska last year, Jessica will try for a waiver from the sitting out rule. Success in that may be slim.

Post Coach, Positioning & Other Thoughts
by dillon77  (2017-06-05 07:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Boy, you drive out to your alma mater (ND)for a reunion and the news you've been waiting for hits while you're on Route 80! And then you don't stop laughing and talking for 72 hours.....

The quote from Jessica that stands out to me is this one:

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

- Carol Owens was (at the very least) an upgrade for her. Sure Brianna has talked to her about this. Her relationship with B.T. was and will be critical for acclimation.

- Where she plays. Based on the clips I've seen I've always thought of her as someone equally comfortable pounding away or coming out for the elbow or wing jumper.

- What I really like is her willingness to rebound.

All in all, great get.

After recovering from this, I'll pull together an updated '18 list for pre-summer.

Truly, a great get,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-06-05 08:56:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but where I may have reservations, you seem comfortable. Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at the play of Jessica Shepard and ecstatic she will be playing for Notre Dame, but I thought she would have to be more discipline in her shot selection and play more like a traditional post or 4. Now you're praising the idea she will be able to play the perimeter with Carol Owens' approval—Indeed, a principle reason she came here.

Now I don't for a moment believe that Erin left because she was pressured not to play the perimeter on offense, (she obviously had free reign), but Jessica is not the 3-pt. shooter that Erin is. I like your post and am curious why you think Carol Owens will encourage Jessica to play the perimeter?

By the way, how was the weather and the gathering?

'tions: Expla-, Modi-, Clari-......and Reunion stuff
by dillon77  (2017-06-05 10:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm basing my comments on this quote, as well as previously mentioned clips:
“My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.” -- Jessica Shepard

My thinking is based more on Kat than Erin. Goes like this....
Do you know the way Kat generally starts at the foul line, but sometimes goes down low (particularly when Bri or Koko is not in), or out of the lane to the baseline or the wing (which I think of as being in the land 45-degrees between post/elbow and baseline)?

Kat does this in an orderly fashion by design and feel. Once or twice she'll surprise Coach and pop a three, but she seems to know her range pretty well.

Shepard can do this, too, but she frequents the lane from high to low post. Against some teams she'll be a beast down low both on "O" and on bhe boards. Yet she can do the perimeter jumper...in fact, she likes it. However, I'll bet a beer-tent that MM has the Kat-like range in mind, not Erin's 3-point bombs.

Sheppard -- and Chartrice White to a degree - took a lot of three's at Nebraska and Illinois, respectively, in part because there were not a lot of other options on their last years at the respective teams. That freedom and range changed for White at FSU where I rarely saw her outside of the post. For Jessica, I'll think she'll play more within the confines of the offense and what the defense gives her -- the latter helped along by her teammates creating open space. If she can accept and adjust on the fly, I think there will be a lot of options there. Plus she has her post game to fall back on, not only defensively but rebounding, which is something she does well.

The weather at reunion could not have been more perfect from Thursday evening until the time we rolled out at 8 a.m. on Sunday: clear, not-humid, sunny and temps from 70 to 84. Save for open-houses, spent a lot of time outdoors. Bicycled out to the numerous new far reaches (farquaads, to borrow the phrase from the ND alums who created Shrek) of campus. Gosh, there could be a new zip code past the library. Only started raining in Ohio on trip back east.

Digger Phelps gave the keynote for our class dinner, focusing on his new book on Fr. Hesburgh. He was on his game. We had more than 400+ attendees, which is more than 1/4 of the current class. Good time.

We all love Kat's game, but
by SorinBasement  (2017-06-05 11:45:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she lacks the size and physicality to bang down low with the strongest low post players. Shepard can give us what Kat provides, plus the physical presence in the low post.

No Disagreements on Either Rebounding or Passing
by dillon77  (2017-06-05 12:39:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as you and ram have brought up (her rebounding numbers are solid). I was making the -sion initially based on JS's differences to, say, Erin, primarily on in the offensive scheme and skill set. Also factored in that if Shepard gets on the court with Bri, she'd probably be the one to move around the floor more often.

However, all of the points raised both hold and standout if she's the main cog in the post (after Bri graduates).

yep. 2 more inches of height
by ram  (2017-06-05 11:52:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and a little more bulk will help a lot in the battle in the paint.

Shepard also is a very good passer.

Something I never thought I'd say about South Bend
by NDoggie78  (2017-06-05 09:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The weather at Reunion was absolutely fantastic!

Early forecasts had 80% chance of rain on the weekend - it never showed (or if it did, I was unaware - which may be because of the "gathering" - sometimes college days are recreated)

Were you there this weekend? If so...
by dillon77  (2017-06-05 10:12:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are you an arkie (I'm going by the '78) tag?

It was beyond splendid....of course I paid for it when my travling buddies and I drove though Pennsylvania in rain and fog.

Yes, mentioned that couple threads below
by NDoggie78  (2017-06-05 11:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I know a bunch of guys who were in Dillonsucks (I always thought that was one word)

Only downside (besides Reunion ending) was learning there are now 98 from the class of '77 no longer with us.

Our classmate (I still claim '77 as well), Cindy Parseghian's speech at the awards after the All Class Mass made the entire audience cry

Agreed, I was at the '77 Mass on Friday...
by dillon77  (2017-06-05 12:22:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and saw another two of my former Observer colleagues have passed.

Didn't have time to read most posts made between Thursday and Sunday evening due to travel to/from and time at the Reunion.

Glad you have a good time, as well.

BTW, I'm friends with a large amount of arkies, mostly from the south quad, including former Dillon- and Alumni- sucks residents.

This is such amazing news. Muffet must be THRILLED! *
by goirish01  (2017-06-02 15:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great News *
by FITZ  (2017-06-03 16:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A question ....
by sixtythreer  (2017-06-05 16:45:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know less about the ins and outs of ND WBB that a lot of you who write on this board.

Frequently, when a new recruit has given her verbal commitment, we see an "Irish Eyes Are Smiling" on the UND - Sports - W Basketball - News - Recruits - WBB Team on Twitter.

We haven't seen that yet for Jessica Shephard. Anybody have an explanation? A clue?