Thoughts on 2018 women's BB HOF
by SixShutouts66 (2018-02-12 21:40:49)

The 2018 inductees included Mickey DeMoss, long-time right hand assistant to Pat Summit, and Chris Dailey, Geno's long-time assistant head coach. I'm sure both women contributed significantly to the success of those programs; but their only head coaching experience was a 4 year stint at Kentucky by DeMoss. From an outsider's viewpoint, it seems hard to justify the selections.

In some other sports there is a clear definition of responsibilities that could justify an HOF selection for long-time assistants (Joe Moore or Bud Foster in FB, a batting or hitting coach in BB et cetera). I also realize that Pat or Geno would have replaced them if they wereen't top notch. It just seems to me that these selections to the HOF are questionable - but maybe t here's stuuf that the casual fan is not aeare of.

Dailey verges on co-Coach
by JBB1985  (2018-02-13 01:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has long been reported that Chris Dailey was an invaluable and nearly co-coach to Auriemma, who has been effusive about her contributions over the decades. Additionally, ESPN Magazine several years ago ranked all the Associate Coaches of both genders across all sports. Dailey finished, in their estimation and research, as #2 in all sports and all genders to I believe it was a male associate coach in swimming. They did state that Dailey was excellent in recruiting, which last time I looked in the last 35 years is a critical component in WCBB. A nearly co-coach in WCBB (or MCBB) is nowhere near a hitting coach in baseball, a thoroughly subordinate role. You can read the articles for the next few weeks. Doubt you will find a single informed observer or veteran with a problem over this.

I am not as aware of DeMoss' tenure, long and immensely successful, at Tenn, but her contributions seem comparably considerable.

Former Players Praise CD...
by dillon77  (2018-02-13 08:00:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...for virtually everything. She can be the "bad cop" in regards to making sure drills are right and tight...or else. (Sue Bird says she still looks over her shoulder when working out at Storrs, expecting Daily to critique her on something.)

And she is the "tough mom" for the young woman, on everything from dress code to make-up and demeanor. Rebecca Lobo swore Daily was responsible for her proper posture.

She is also a calming presence to Geno A. on the sidelines.

Check on recruiting...I've seen her at many a NJ high school game, still playing up her Rutgers connections.

And all these former players still call her...she's made a lasting mark.

They're a team and it's expected that when Geno goes, so will CD.

Expect a similar scenario with Muffet and Coach Owens.

I actually had my picture taken with her once
by cbiebel  (2018-02-13 02:07:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at a ND-UConn game and was trying to get together with a UConn friend of mine afterwards, but I couldn't find him (I didn't have a cell phone at that time).

I happened to see Chris Dailey near the court and figured "Hey, why not?" I asked if I could have my picture taken with her. I had a nondigital camera (might have even been one of those disposables). When I got it developed I thought it was a fairly nice picture, and then I noticed something really great about it.

It was perfectly framed. There we were in the middle of the picture and in the background behind our heads was one of the scoreboards, which read "ND 92 UConn 76."