Are We Recruiting Maddy Westbeld,
by savr27 (2018-02-13 21:37:30)

just saw this tweet posted, didn’t know KW had a younger sister.

Kat's doppelganger.
by PWK2  (2018-02-14 15:03:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Boy, do they look alike.

I hope to hell we are!
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-02-14 13:24:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is a lot faster and has better handles than Kat, but has similar heart and is about the same height. What's not to like? Who doesn't like fasting acting glue?

We know that "fit" and chemistry are very important to Muffet and company, and Maddy would satisfy those criteria. She has been described more of a 2/3 than a 3/4 (despite her height). Her quickness and handles have kept her on the perimeter, but I'll bet she'll play where she fits at the college level.

Obviously her family connections would make the staff take a look at her, and that's all we can ask. But there should definitely be a spot on the team for someone like that. Prospects Nation has her ranked 23rd in the country (7th best wing) and she is ranked 39th by Blue Star. Hoopgurlz does not have her in their top 25 (they don't go beyond that for the class of 2020 yet.)

Well, well, well. A new family dynasty? *
by Jon  (2018-02-14 11:13:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope so. We need her bad assness *
by drmurray  (2018-02-13 22:26:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"A shot in the eye"? That's almost eerie. *
by CJC  (2018-02-13 22:02:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha, ha…following in her sister's footsteps.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-02-13 22:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She has been talked about here. Dillon has her on his extraordinary report. She is a sophomore, so she is in the recruiting class or 2020. This is from last year:
Her AAU team called her “a Freak of Nature! Quickest feet, super fast, extra smart, completely ambidextrous”. Coach Bill says “every Power 5 should be all over 6'2” 2020 Combo Maddy Westbeld”

She's Listed As a Wing...but 28 Rebounds!
by dillon77  (2018-02-14 08:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like she's spending some time in the paint. (the black eye is another hint, says an old power forward).

Have not really heard much about interest between Maddie/Notre Dame, although one could hope the picture of her wearing an ND shirt says a thousand words.

If there is an interest, perhaps it's not that imperative to move on it until after the Class of 2019 is procured. Same could be said about her from a positional standpoint: if she is a wing or a high post (like Kat), MM and Niele might be seeing how 2019 goes with Jones, Brunelle, Beal, Miller, etc. before seeing "what comes next?"

Still, if she plays like Kat in any way, shape or form....

p.s. Trivia/general interest: I had totally forgotten the town of Kettering was named after they gentleman who founded Delco and -- perhaps most importantly -- the electric starter in cars. Thanks for directing me to the Kettering web site!

Listed as a 6' 2" wing and # 23 by Prospects Nation
by thed  (2018-02-14 15:11:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She certainly has the height and the heart. Link below.

After this year's injuries MM may go to a larger roster
by NDoggie78  (2018-02-14 09:50:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which, hopefully, would have an extra spot for Maddy Westbeld even if we are ultra-successful with the higher ranked players on your list. Every team needs players like Kat and it appears Maddy has a similar game/attitude.

I would be surprised if she did.
by NDBass  (2018-02-14 09:52:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pleasantly surprised.

I think it would be prudent to add one more to her normal #
by NDoggie78  (2018-02-14 10:03:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But what do I know. Even though injuries are what is mentioned, the transfer issue seems to be a growing problem in women's college basketball. I think this will be a continuing trend. Of course, recruiting more players makes rotations and playing time an issue leading to transfers. One more to her usual 11-12 might be the happy medium.

You Won't See Me Arguing For Against Considering...
by dillon77  (2018-02-14 10:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...adding one more player to a roster. Given the injuries, transfers and gosh-knows-what has hit the squad does not seem like roster inflation to me.

And a player like Maddy -- who could probably play both a high post and large wing -- could offer utility.

Having said that, I can see why MM likes her 12-person roster...the right and tight squad is easier to manage and might protect against the "play me or lose" me mentality. But when the things hit that have slammed the Irish recently, an insurance/plan B policy might be worth exploring.

I won't be arguing either, but I may be the only one left
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-02-14 11:33:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who sees no reason to change recruiting strategies. Everyone agrees this is an exceptional year, yet still we are doing exceptionally well, thank you. This year may argue for the current strategy rather than against it. I admire Muffet for thinking about the players first. No one comes to NDWBB to sit.

I agree with others that it is doubtful Coach McGraw changes her recruiting strategy, and I'm fine with that.

Sure Looks Like It *
by westsideirish  (2018-02-13 21:57:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post