Information and Navigation
by BabaGhanouj (2018-04-16 08:28:01)
Edited on 2018-04-16 12:18:55

Frustrated by time spent in trying to retrieve Dillon's Recruitment Post (If it has been linked somewhere, as was rumored, please point it out.), I give a link to it here. If you post anything about recruiting, please consult that post first, to save yourself from repetition and/or embarrassment.

Now that Sam has given a verbal, I slightly modified my visual aid which I include below:

Take a look a what we loose this year and next and what we gain this year and next, and decide who we need most and where we should concentrate our efforts. Check Dillon's post to see who is available.

Recruiting Update: Post-Brunelle Commitment Edition
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 11:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IRISH RECRUITING UPDATE: POST-BRUNELLE COMMITMENT/APRIL 16TH

Greetings Benchers! Time for a Post-Sam Brunelle CommitmentRecruiting Update.

This edited update will focus on where the Irish will stand at the start of the 2019-2020 season, which is after Brianna Turner, Jessica Shepard, Arike Ogunbowale and Marina Mabrey have graduated and/or exhausted their eligibility.

It will look at the overall team, as well as a breakdown of positions. For those who like this kind of information in a graphic sense, I strongly suggest you print out Baba Ghanouj’s graphic chart. Also, please take in posts/insights/research by Orangutan, Fighting Artichoke, Dave Winkler, Domerduck, MPG, RI Steve and others who scour the internet for more information/tape.

OVERALL
- Including current players, the Class of 2018 (4) and the two (2) 2019 Commits (but no non-scholarship players), the projected Irish WBB squad for the start of the 2019 season now stands at nine (9) players.
- Muffet has preferred to have about 12 players on her roster, so we’ll use that as a baseline.
- That means she could take three (3) more commitments, assuming she gets affirmatives from the remaining top prospects. However, most of us think she’ll go with two (2) more (for a total of four (4) 2019 commits because there’s no guarantee that she’ll get everyone she’s after and there’s no reason to settle because the Class of 2020 is loaded.
- And many of these prospects were present with Anaya and Sam at the 2017 fall mass recruiting event (Nielefest/Recruitapalooza).
- So which of the remaining two do I think are the top remaining "gets" at this juncture: Haley Jones, in part because of her versatility.
And probably a rebounding post or forward among Amihere, Belibi or Boston.

POINT GUARDS/GUARDS
Context
- In 2019, Jordan Nixon will have one year of experience at point guard. She will either take over and/or continue to have the reins to the PG position.

2019 Point Guard Committed to Notre Dame:

- Anaya Peoples (#15 HG, #5 PN), 5’10” PG from Illinois, who plays club ball with 2018 commit, Katlyn Gilbert.
-- Cannot see any other point guards being recruited for 2019, given ND has Nixon and Peoples.
-- Anaya is on record as saying she’ll play whatever position needed and she basically does this for her high school team, already. Keep this in mind when it comes to…

Class of 2020 Point Guards of Interest.
- Caitlin Clarke (#1 in HG, 4 in PN) 5’11” PG from Iowa who played on USA U16 team. Very confident guard in her ability to run a team and look for her own shot.
- Paige Bueckers (#6 in HG, 3 PN), 5’10” guard from Minnesota who was on the same u16 team as Clarke. Athletic, fast and very creative offensively. Can play combo- or off- guard. ND staff saw her play in Minnesota this March.
- Allison (Ali) Campbell (#19 HG, 20 PN). 6’0” guard from Pa. whose Bellwood-Antis HS won a state title. Will play for Philly Belles in AAU ball.
- Keegan Sullivan (NR in HG, 18 PN), 5’11” from South Bend, Indiana, who is racking up some impressive offers already (S. Carolina, among them).

All but Sullivan attended the 10/27-28/17 Unofficial Group Recruiting Visit. Even though all four of these guards are listed as point guards, we’ve seen that ND continues to have interest in most of them, which indicates the staff could be considering them as guards; e.g., Paige Bueckers played off the ball when Clarke manned the point in Argentina. Or other PGs on ND’s roster could be used off-ball, such as Peoples. Could offer flexibility in the line-up, as needed.

Class of 2021 Point Guards To Watch
- Ari Wiggins, 5’7” freshman at Heritage Christian, Indianapolis, who already has an offer from Indiana. Interested in ND and has visited with 2018 commit Katlyn Gilbert. Very quick.

GUARDS/WINGS
Context
- The most notable name on the list below is Haley Jones, the leader of the ESPN High School Team of the Year. Jones can play all over the court and at 6’1” would seem to be a natural at the wing position, where she could be mentored by Jackie Young for a year.
- Some ND-related writers have brought up Breanna Beal and Kierstan Bell as prospects, but we (as a board) have just not seen that much respective interest in each other recently.
- Personally, I think ND will go great guns for Jones, but if she goes elsewhere (and with Miller committing to Maryland), will hold off until 2020.
- Dani Paterson could be used as a more traditional small forward here after Jackie graduates.

Possible 2019 Targets:

- Kierstan Bell (#4 HG, 16 PN), 6’1” guard who was named Ms. Basketball in Ohio last school year and allegedly already has an offer from ND.
Has made unofficial visits to ND, Ohio State and Michigan State. Plans on taking official visits to further away-schools, including: Minnesota, Rutgers, North Carolina, South Carolina and UCLA.
- Haley Jones (#5 HG, #14 PN), 6'1" wing from Archbishop Mitty in California. Irish coaching staff apparently attended a showcase there in Sept. 2017 and Coach McGraw flew to see her in early February. Jones has visited South Carolina and Texas. Wing with size who "plays taller than advertised" and "finishes plays in traffic." Versatile.
- Rickea Jackson (#9 HG, 2 PN), 6’2” wing from Detroit. Slasher who has interest from Michigan, Michigan State, South Carolina, among others. No known interaction with ND.
- Breanna Beal (#10 HG, 10 PN), a 6'1" wing/forward from Rock Island, Ill., who has multiple offers and has expressed admiration for UConn and the academics Stanford offers. ND coaches attended an exhibition. .
- Leilani Correa, (#21 by HG, 44 PN), 5’10” guard from Rutgers Prep, NJ. Very athletic, speedy off-guard, similar to Celeste Taylor (UConn interest)

Class of 2020 Players of Interest:
- Sydney Parrish, (#7 in HG, 8 PN) 6’1” guard/wing/forward from Hamilton Southeastern, Indiana., who was a semi-finalist for the USA Basketball’s U16 team. Already has offers from virtually all B1G teams.
- Maddie Burke (16 in HG, NR in PN), 5’10” shooting guard from Pennsylvania who is another member of the Philly Belles. Good stroke.
- Madeleine Westbeld (NR in HG, 23 in PN), a 6’2” wing from Ohio who favors the outside game more than her high-post sister, one Katherine.
(Parrish and Burke both attended the 10/27-28/17 unofficial group visit to ND. One would guess Ms. Westbeld knows a bit about ND.)

Class of 2021 Players of Note
- Azzi Fudd (Noted in HG, No ’21 Chart in PN), a 5’11” guard who is starting her freshman year at. St. John’s College in Washington, D.C., same school that Lindsay Allen attended. Youngest player on U.S. team in Argentina. Has scored 30+ points in several HS games, prompting coaching pilgrimages to D.C. Could be that she's just a good friend, but attended Brunelle's announcement yesterday and wore an ND T-Shirt. Can't hurt.
- Matyson Wilke (Noted in HG, No ’21 Chart in PN yet), a 5’9” guard from Beaver Dam. Has come to ND games this season.
(Both players attended “Niele-fest” in Fall 2017 and Wilke has come back for a game.)

FORWARDS/POSTS
Context
- In 2019-20, they’ll have the following posts and forwards: Mikayla Vaughn, Danielle Cosgrove and Sam Brunelle. Dani Patterson could used at the high post as well.
Committed Player
- Sam Brunelle (1 HG, 4 PN), 6’2” F/C, Virginia, who committed yesterday. Seems tailor-made for the high post position, where she can utilize her jump shooting, interior moves, drives and passing.

.Possible 2019 Targets:
- Laeticia Amihere, (#2 HG, Not in PN), 6’3” forward from Ontario, Canada. One of the dunkers. ND staff observed her over the summer. Recovering from an ACL injury.
- Aliyah Boston (#11 HG, 16 PN, 6’4” Post from Worcester Academy, MA. Played on U.S. Team in Argentina in 2017 and was named MVP.
- Francesca Belibi (28 HG, 41 PN) A 6’1” athlete from Denver/Cameroon, who is the “other dunker.” Has interest in Stanford, Princeton, Harvard and ND. Also made the USA Basketball U16 Team. Took unofficial vist to ND in April.
- Sydnee Roby (#40 HG, 91 PN), 6’3” Post from Rufus King HS, Milwaukee, WI. Powerful inside presence who scores & rebounds in double figures.

2020 Players to Keep An Eye On

- Kylee Watson (Top rated by Blue Star, #2 in HG & 6 PN), Agile 6’4” Post from Mainland HS in NJ who played on USA Basketball’s U16 Team in Argentina. Prospects Nation’s Chris Olson compares her to our own Natalie Achonwa. Was part of 10/27-28/17 Unofficial Group Visit to Notre Dame
- Cameron Brink (#4 HG, 5 PN), a 6’4” stretch forward from Beaverton, Oregon, was a finalist for the U16 USA team this summer. Friend of the Curry family.
- Natalija Marshall (#13 HG, 24 PN), 6’5” forward from Christ the King H.S. in Queens, NYC. Attended 10/28/17 Unofficial Group Visit. Very interested in ND and has connection to Mabreys via AAU team.
- Angel Reese (#11 HG, 16 PN), 6’3” forward who plays for St. Frances Academy in Maryland.

2021 Player To Keep Track Of

- Amari DeBerry (Noted in HG, No ’21 Chart in PN yet), a 6’4” forward starting at Williamsville South H.S. in New York. Well-known on club circuit.

MEANWHILE ON THE SOCIAL MEDIA FRONT

A few of you are very good at tracking recruits and/or have interest in recruits via social media, which is great since so many of them communicate via one of the tools.
Here is a list of uncommitted players followed by MM's twitter account (thanks to Orangutan for supplying this…):

Alli Campbell
Haley Jones
Natalija Marshall
Azzi Fudd
Aliyah Boston
Kylee Watson
Caitlin Clark
Paige Bueckers
Sam Brunelle (Yes!)
Jaden Owens (Not sure if interest is reciprocal)

If you make this into its own thread...
by El Kabong  (2018-04-16 11:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I can thumbtack it at the top, where you can edit it to your heart's content and it'll be easily accessible.

Thanks El K *
by drmurray  (2018-04-16 14:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Done. Thanks for Doing So! *
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 12:05:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like 5 should be the position number in 2019-20
by Dave Winkler  (2018-04-16 11:22:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for F, F/P (Patterson, Vaughn, Cosgrove, Brunelle, Boston). The chart says 4.

Corrected, thanks. I probably should not have included
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 12:02:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wishful thinking but rather only real recruits, i.e. verbals. I'm paying for it now. I put the non-verbal numbers in parentheses. As I said this chart is a work in process. Any help in making it more readable is appreciated.

I like having the "wishful thinking" included with verbals
by NDoggie78  (2018-04-16 13:02:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My suggestion - since you asked - would be to take the wishful thinking a couple years further (2020 and 2021). We have heard all the names discussed and remember Nielefest, but trying to keep the year and positions straight is difficult (maybe it's just my memory).

Obviously if this complicates the chart than it is counterproductive, but it would also be a head start for the future (and unfortunately, we'll realize we can't have all the young ladies who attended last Fall)

Having your chart out while reading dillon's updates is the perfect way to look at recruiting (but careful - you might get "recruited" to do one for football and men's bball)

Thanks, I like your suggestion. Will think on implementation *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 22:05:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's quite readable; highly visual
by Dave Winkler  (2018-04-16 12:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This chart is a great idea. It will look even better if ND can add 2 more highly rated recruits to the 2019 class.

Don’t We Have Plenty Of Guards/Wings, We Need Bigs At
by savr27  (2018-04-16 10:20:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Low Post. Haley Jones Is A Must Take, but after that we should be going after Bigs that are 6-03 plus like Boston. I say one more wing only if it’s Haley Jones, after that we should be after the top Bigs available. That has always been our weakness, not enough Bigs in the low post on the roster

Yes, I would agree for 2019 recruiting. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 10:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for Updating This.....
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 09:15:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..I'd been hoping you'd update it. I'm in the process of updating the database to write a "what's next" and was hoping to use your chart as a complement to it.
Thanks!

I'll get back to it and post under this.

So, based on taking only 2 more in this class, does
by Tim Kelley  (2018-04-16 09:39:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this mean that your selections would be Boston and Jones, if you could choose ? Or, should we wait until you post your "What's Next" edition for the answer ?

I suppose those would be my choices, but
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 10:03:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know how likely Boston would be as a recruit. Have we heard anything about Boston being recruited by ND at all? She is mentioned quite a bit in UConn circles. Sam Brunelle has stated that she likes playing with Boston. Indeed, they chose to play together on the same 3x3 team.

Perhaps Francesca Belibi is more likely. I'm trying to find out more about her game.

Jones would definitely be my choice and she is being heavily recruited by Notre Dame. In any case I would lobby for a true post and a wing for 2019 and try to squeeze in some of the great players for 2020.

Completely in Same Park with You....
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 11:42:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...given what we know (and don't know).

If we could get Boston, run to the finish line (the marathon is running as I type).

But she's been very, very secretive about her finalists list, which allegedly stands at 6. Maybe her 3x3, U.S. National Team buddy Sam has been whispering good things in her ear?

- We've heard about a purported visit to Ontario for Ms. Amihere, but that's it. And her finalist list reads like a Charlie Creme "early seeding" prediction. Does not inspire confidence.

- Belibi was on the U.S. National team, but not a huge factor. That's not the end of the world because she's a work in progress. And, yes, she can jump. A lot. Can't teach that. Maybe Coach Owens can do a lot of that.

- Would do an ugly dance if we could get Haley Jones. She, Anaya and Sam would be an uber-triangle to augment in 2020.

- And if no Jones, here's an out-of-the-box thought: hold off on the wing. Use Dani P. as a small forward or Abby as a back-breaker defender at wing. Then go after Madeline Westbeld or Ms. Parrish hard in 2020. Who knows...Ali Campbell still might be growing by then (up to 6'0" tall).