USA U16 with Brunelle, Fudd, Bueckers, Clark vs. Canada (link)
by thethinman (2018-04-16 10:37:08)

This user did not provide content for this post

Thanks for the link. I watched the game.
by sixtythreer  (2018-04-16 15:12:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Azzi Fudd looks terrific to me. Fast, shoots well from all over, and sticks tight to her man on defense. She is really strong bringing the ball up court; defenders bounce off her. Has Arike's mentality when she explodes to the hoop, but I think she is a tad faster. Lovely mid-range jumper.

Fun to watch Sam Brunelle, as well. Appears to have great court vision. Seems to be a willing passer. She made a number of fine passes to open teammates. Plays strong, and I think smart. Reminds me of Kat, but somewhat faster than Kat (who I loved). Rebounds and shoots well (from all over). We're really lucky to have her.

Paige Bueckers stood out as well. Good shooter, excellent body control, and she gets in for rebounds.
Aggressive. Any coach would love to have her.

Caitlin Clark reminded me of Marina - aggressive, tough and quick to get off her three-pointers.
Seems similar to Marina speed-wise.

I'd love to have all four of them.

Also was impressed by Aliyah Boston. Big, strong, a force on boards, and moved impressively well.

Zia Cooke also stood out. Fast and strong with ball, and when she finally shot some threes,
she hit 'em. You could see why she was with the starting five, but Azzi Fudd impressed me more.

I do not consider myself an "expert." What are your opinions?

You nailed it.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 15:56:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't seen that game since when it was first played, but that's exactly how I remember it. Slight quibble: I think Clark may be quicker than Marina, but it's hard to tell. Marina does so many things right to look fast. Zia Cooke is impressive.

They're All Good! But I Don't See Zia Cooke on ..
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 16:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..Irish horizon since we have PG Jordan Nixon coming in 2018 and Anaya Peoples in 2019. And Cooke is a traditional -- as in, give her the ball -- point guard.

On the other hand, I can easily see Paige Bueckers and/or Caitlin Clark playing off ball.

Regarding Clark and Marina: I think Clark is a bit faster than Marina. However, Marina makes up for that with initial quickness, taking good angles and a boatload of intuition.

As for Fudd....oh boy. Establish relations with United so the Fudd family taking the least expensive flights possible when can fly out for un-officials to see Sam at South Bend all the time!! Keep a double in our best girls dorm for Paige and Azzi to used when visiting. Name hamburgers in the Huddle or coffee drinks at Starbucks after them.

And don't forget the Aliyah Boston Creme Pie, which can be served next to Brunelle Mint Chip Sundae.

By the way,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 16:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope your (recruit) post gets pinned, but all the responses to it may make it more difficult. I suppose El Kabong can delete the responses and pin it.

I Could Always Start a New Thread And He Could ....
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 17:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..quickly snatch it. He said I'd be able to access it and edit at any time, which could make it easier for folks to access. If you change your mind on the chart, the two of them together are a great one-two punch. I had a print out of yours while I was updating.

After looking at your chart, I came to a kind of "out of the box" theory that if MM does not get who her specific targets/faves are in 2019 beyond Anaya, Sam and one post/jumping jack forward, I think she could call it quits there, based on managing to get by on a short roster this year.
A tad risky, but more folks get to play and then come back very strong in 2020.

That said...it would be grand to get a wing/small forward like Haley Jones to pair up with Sam, Anaya, Mik and crew.

Agree with your notion
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 17:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that it could be 3, but lean more toward Jones but not a F/P. And, reconsidering, if I can continue to edit the chart, sure, why not.

Could Go That Way, Too....
by dillon77  (2018-04-17 08:50:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Anaya - PG/Guard
2) Sam - High Post (the Kat/Jess slot)
3) Haley - Wing

Post) - Would have Mik, Danielles and Sam. Wait until '20 and dig hard for Kylee Watson and/or Natalija Marshall.

On the other hand, MM could be enamored with the inside games of Laeticia Amihere and Fran Belibi to "hybrid" it.

Good choices, all. No?

Exactly, talent is talent, but, as others have said,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-17 09:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it may be important to get a true post. It just seems like slim pickings in 2019. Boston or bust? Vaughn may be all we need. UConn did pretty well without a post, but saw the need against some teams. It will be interesting how it turns out. This is probably a good thing, but I'm starting to develop a slight concern (Did I put that meekly enough?) over an abundance of talent that won't play.

I Get That, Which Is Why MM Likes a Roster of 12...
by dillon77  (2018-04-17 10:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and I'm not totally against 11 (and a walk on) to keep a very talented roster interested and believing they can get PT in the right situation.

I'd be more concerned about another center in 2019, but Mik is a frosh, eligibility wise. Who knows if she'll use all four years, but that allows MM to find the right center or right player (can't stress that enough).

Besides, I think of Danielle Cosgrove as being something of a hybrid low/high post who can work with Mik and Sam.

On top of the '20 group of Watson and Marshall, remember the rush for DeBerry in 20121. Maybe that forward can play with this kid, Fudd. Ever hear of her?

Same park, just said Zia was impressive, just not Irish. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-16 16:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. Very Impressive. Wonder Who Is Interested?
by dillon77  (2018-04-16 16:37:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would have to think she'd help a number of teams, given her pedigree.

Only watched the first half, but it looks like
by Tim Kelley  (2018-04-16 11:18:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brunelle will also be a force on defense, especially around the basket.