Tina Thompson Named Coach at UVA (link)
by dillon77 (2018-04-16 17:33:12)
Edited on 2018-04-16 17:46:26

Tina Thompson, former professional great Tina Thompson and current associate head coach at Texas, has been named the new head coach at the University of Virginia, taking the place of Joanne Boyle, who resigned a few weeks ago.

New UVA Athletic Director Carla Williams announced the hiring in a press release (see below).

A few random thoughts:

- Thompson is a great playing talent, as her WNBA and Olympic careers demonstrate
- She's been an assistant coach with Karen Alston for three years, in charge of coaching posts.
- While the press release cites her work with Imani Boyette and Kelsey Lang, I'll take that our own Carol Owens and what she's done with Devereaux Peters, Natalie Achonwa, Brianna Turner, Jess Shepard and, yes, Koko Nelson.
- However, it does ensure that Niele Ivey is probably not going anywhere this offseason, so she can engineer MM's recruiting drives for the remainder of the 2019 class and the upcoming 2020 season.

Like many of us, I went over to the The Sabre and while folks are excited about Ms. Thompson being hired, I think just prior to this announcement, most of the focus was still on Niele Ivey and Courtney Banghart.

- Thompson has strong connections within Texas. We'll see how that translates to UVA.

Good luck to all...

Replies: