Just imagine ...
by CKDexterHaven (2018-04-17 08:37:53)

If Brianna Turner can develop a reliable mid-range jumper and can rotate freely between high post and low post. She already can drive from the elbow position well. The versatility of the offense would be enhanced if she can drive and kick to the 3-point shooters or stop and shoot or go to the basket or drive and dish to the low post.
And imagine if Jackie Young could become a confident and reliable third option as a 3-point threat.
Next year’s team has so much potential.

Someone Asked Brianna
by ricf28  (2018-04-17 10:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

several months ago how she was preparing herself for the 2018-19 season. She indicated that her prime objective was developing that mid-range jumper. If that becomes part of her game, how do you guard the Irish?

The only way to guard them now.
by NDBass  (2018-04-17 12:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clutch, bump, grab, and pray. The praying applies to the refs not calling every foul and that the Irish have an off shooting night.

I'm hoping for a good, smothering defense. Almost
by Tim Kelley  (2018-04-17 09:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

every post here focuses on offense, either about the team, players or recruits. I'm not worried at all about the offense, but it could well be the defense that will enhance the potential to get to the tittle game next season without requiring last second heroics and overtime games.

Having said that, I agree with your points. I also think that there is a good chance that rebounding can improve.

Same Person, Different Focus: Bri Turner
by dillon77  (2018-04-17 10:15:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACC Defensive Player of the Year her junior year (and maybe before that, too).

Having Bri back is huge primarily from a defensive and rebounding perspective. She is the proverbial anchor who allows guards to gamble on defense for steals, put a double on a ball hog or reticent passer. If the dribbler or pass gets through, that person has to deal with Bri. Hesitation, swat.

Personally, I've missed her ever since I watched McPhee drive to the basket again and again in that Stanford game. Bri stops that stuff dead in it's tracks.

It will allow MM to switch between man, zone, match-up zone. And having Mik back to spell Bri and/or Jess is good, too. Not to mention she can learn from Bri for future years.

I think you'll see all three guards (particularly Marina) start going for steals (again) more. As for the frosh, I'm looking forward to Abby Prohaska -- who is known for her defense and willingness to mix it up -- learn from Marina and Jackie (and Arike when she's into it).

And, has been brought up from time to time, with some depth, maybe we go to a pressing unit, from time to time. Use "the youngsters":

- Jordan
- Katlyn, Abby
- Danielle P.
- Mik or Danielle C.

Could give first unit a good rest and throw a little bit of a "whoa" into a team not ready for it.

ND did what it had to in 2017-18 to survive games and the overall season. As noted, that was keeping players in the game. It became interesting to see that the third quarter and beginning of the fourth were chief defensive focal periods. I think MM will welcome the opportunity to push defense next year and not just rely on us primarily outscoring opponents.

And one reason for that will be Brianna Turner, who I fully expect to reclaim her role as Queen D of the ACC.

Defense will be better next season ...
by FightingIrishRadio  (2018-04-17 13:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... for all the reasons you mention: Bri in the back to defend the rim, guards can be more aggressive because they don't have to worry as much about picking up early fouls, and ND has the potential to press quite a bit more either with a first or second unit.

The defense had to back off a bit this year out of necessity. However, when they needed to be tough on defense, the Irish were. ND would not have beaten Mississippi State if they didn't hold them to 13 points in the second quarter and just 11 in the third. MSU only shot 36% from the field in those two pivotal quarters. MSU was one of the top scoring teams in the nation averaging 81.1 points per game --- they only managed 58 against ND. MSU only made 37.3% of its field goals in the game.

In the semi-finals, ND survived a 27 point UConn blitz in the second quarter. The Huskies only managed 38 points in the second half (regulation) and the second quarter was the only one that saw UConn top 20 points. ND scored 24 in the first, 23 in the third and 22 in the fourth. UConn was the nation's top scoring team at 89.4 points per game. They scored 79 in regulation against the Irish. UConn was the nation's top shooting team -- at 53.3% from the field. They shot 49.4% against the Irish.

Oregon ranked 7th in the NCAA in scoring at 82.4 points per game -- the Ducks were held over 8 points below their season average. For the season, Oregon made 50% of its field goals -- they shot 43.1% against ND. In the second half, Oregon only made 8 of 31 field goal attempts -- just 25.8% -- with just 9 points in the 3rd quarter.

For the season, ND's opponents averaged 67.8 points on offense -- the highest season average for ND's opponents over the past eight seasons and ND's steals per game, at 8.2, and opponent turnovers, at 15.7, were the lowest over the same span. ND should do better on all three stats next season.

One thing to keep in mind -- ND played the nation's toughest schedule throughout the year. One manifestation of the difficulty was the number of high scoring teams on the schedule. Over half of ND's games (20 of 38) were played against top 50 NCAA scoring offenses including 9 against the top 25 and 4 against the top ten.

Radio, stay in shape, we'll need you next year. Great stuff. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-17 16:00:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll be tuned in *
by drmurray  (2018-04-17 19:12:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There may be no single player in women's college basketball
by SorinBasement  (2018-04-17 11:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the past several years whose presence on the court has a greater defensive impact. Bri's presence cures the biggest weakness on what turned out to be a national championship team.

I wish next season started tomorrow.

Teaira McCowan has to be up there. *
by NDBass  (2018-04-17 12:15:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGown
by NDMISSISSIPPI  (2018-04-18 11:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we should have enough healthy players to get her into foul trouble early.

McGowen
by ram  (2018-04-18 11:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you are going to rename her, use the name I gave her in the tournament.

I think once I posted that wrong name it caught on quickly and there were 4 more "McGowan" posts.

I think the qualifier is last several years
by Radi-skull  (2018-04-17 14:23:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't McCowan just turn it on this year?

I think the qualifier is "may be" or
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-17 15:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"greater defensive impact". Here are some quickly gathered figures to help stir the pot.

Selective players' national ranking in blocks and the number of blocks:
2014-15
Ruth Hamblin - 9th, 122 blocks
Breanna Stewart - 12th, 104
Bego Faz Davalos - 17th, 96
Brianna Turner - 21st, 89
A'ja Wilson - 30th, 83

2015-16
Bego Faz Davalos - 1st, 136
Ruth Hamblin - 2nd, 130
Breanna Stewart - 4th, 122
A'ja Wilson - 7th, 100
Brianna Turner - 20th, 86

2016-17
Bego Faz Davalos - 3rd, 113
A'ja Wilson - 12th, 90
Brianna Turner - 17th, 86

2017-18
A'ja Wilson - 5th, 105
Lauren Cox - 13th, 92
Teaira McCowan - 18th, 81

Turner's defensive impact is well-measured in the attached
by SorinBasement  (2018-04-17 17:03:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

article.

She missed a significant number of games with her shoulder during the 15-16 season, and this article quantifies it to the tune of the opposition scoring 76.8 PPG, shooting .458, without her playing, and 56.0 PPG, shooting .354, with her in the lineup. The article explains how her defensive presence affects 3-point shooters as well as low post players.

Muffet describes her as the best defensive post player she has ever coached. That's good enough for me.

No argument here.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-17 17:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The statistics confirm she's right up there with A'ja Wilson and Breanna Stewart. That's as good company as one can get. It's nice when stats back up our unavoidable biases for our own players. If she can stay heathy, I look forward to her best year ever.

Agree about the "last second heroics and overtime games.."
by Jon  (2018-04-17 09:36:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..those are fun, but I'd prefer a double-digit whup-down type of season.

Total dominance.

Tired of teams like Ucon beating us by a dozen, then we win a game by a half point in quadruple OT at the buzzer. Then they win by 15, etc...