Same Person, Different Focus: Bri Turner
by dillon77 (2018-04-17 10:15:01)
Edited on 2018-04-17 15:10:41

In reply to: I'm hoping for a good, smothering defense. Almost  posted by Tim Kelley

The ACC Defensive Player of the Year her junior year (and maybe before that, too).

Having Bri back is huge primarily from a defensive and rebounding perspective. She is the proverbial anchor who allows guards to gamble on defense for steals, put a double on a ball hog or reticent passer. If the dribbler or pass gets through, that person has to deal with Bri. Hesitation, swat.

Personally, I've missed her ever since I watched McPhee drive to the basket again and again in that Stanford game. Bri stops that stuff dead in it's tracks.

It will allow MM to switch between man, zone, match-up zone. And having Mik back to spell Bri and/or Jess is good, too. Not to mention she can learn from Bri for future years.

I think you'll see all three guards (particularly Marina) start going for steals (again) more. As for the frosh, I'm looking forward to Abby Prohaska -- who is known for her defense and willingness to mix it up -- learn from Marina and Jackie (and Arike when she's into it).

And, has been brought up from time to time, with some depth, maybe we go to a pressing unit, from time to time. Use "the youngsters":

- Jordan
- Katlyn, Abby
- Danielle P.
- Mik or Danielle C.

Could give first unit a good rest and throw a little bit of a "whoa" into a team not ready for it.

ND did what it had to in 2017-18 to survive games and the overall season. As noted, that was keeping players in the game. It became interesting to see that the third quarter and beginning of the fourth were chief defensive focal periods. I think MM will welcome the opportunity to push defense next year and not just rely on us primarily outscoring opponents.

And one reason for that will be Brianna Turner, who I fully expect to reclaim her role as Queen D of the ACC.

Replies: