A few observations from the game
by McLean_ND (2018-04-28 22:28:22)
Edited on 2018-04-29 09:12:23

In reply to: Are You There? Look Forward To Your Impressions...  posted by dillon77

Both Paige and Azzi are listed in the game program as 5’11” but Paige’s weight is listed at 140 and Azzi’s at 160. Paige seems thin as a rail and much more of a finesse player than a physical player.

It was clear that Paige and Azzi are good friends. A lot of friendly banter back and forth before the game and at other times. Paige was very outgoing – signed a few autographs before the game and stayed after to play some with a few of the very young girls that were there. She was frequently smiling and joking around.

Neither player came across as a selfish player trying to fill up the stat sheet. I don’t know what the box score statistics were but another player – Angel Reese – was the MVP for the team that Paige and Azzi were on (Angel had 22 points and 19 rebounds according to the comments when the award was handed out). Paige clearly looks to pass first and made a number of “fancy” passes – behind her back while driving for a layup, then faking the behind the back pass and scooping up a layup, etc. She’s clearly a great ball handler. Not sure whether a college coach would be all in on those passes, but this was a friendly game with no real pressure. The Paige/Azzi team won 115-80.

Both are good shooters, Azzi has a very nice mid-range jumper, although she can score driving to the basket and from beyond the 3-point line.

As an aside, one thing I never like about basketball games in small gyms (the game was in a high school gym) is the decibel level for the buzzer when there are timeouts etc. If my hearing starts to go at some point, I’m going to blame it partly on those buzzers. I don’t really understand why they have to be as loud as they are.

Edited to add a link with a story about the game