Kat Westbeld Waived by L.A. Sparks
by dillon77 (2018-05-15 18:05:41)

Kat made it deep into the process with the L.A. Sparks, but was waived today, May 15th, along with guard Brooke McCarty, the point guard from Texas (who I'm pretty sure was drafted).

Taya Reimer had been waived five days earlier on May 10th.

Tough deal to make a WNBA team with only 144 slots open (12 teams with 12 roster spots each).

Hopefully, next steps are:
- Get back to South Bend to take part in her graduation (which Lindsay Allen did last year);
- See if she wants to give pro ball a shot overseas. If so, this prolonged tryout process might help her.

So far, so good with Lindsay (the NY Liberty have a mess of guards) and Dev (who is coming back from injury last year).

She's still a National Champion baby! *
by goirish01  (2018-05-17 14:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lot's of talent getting waived. Alleyne was the best player
by Domerduck  (2018-05-16 15:13:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the Ducks two years back where she score 2,151 points in 4 years, second all time in Oregon history to Allison Lang's 2252 who graduated in 1984. She even outscored Bev Smith. the only other Duck 2k career scorer until Sabrina and Ruthy do it. Jillian was drafted 20th (2nd round) in the 2016 draft but still has never played in the WNBA. We will see if she plays in Europe again in hopes she makes it next year.

By the way Brooke McCarty was not drafted, although she was projected to be drafted in the second round as were a few other 2018 folks recently waived. Still as you note most of those waived this late were WNBA draftees (13 out of 18). So other drafties beyond Jillian waived on 5/14 & 15 were as follows: First rounders: Evelyn Akhator 2017 (3rd overall), Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga 2011 (9th overall), Kelly Faris 2013 (11th overall), Shay Murphy 2007 (15th overall; Second round draftees: Alexis Peterson 2017 (15th overall), Allison Hightower 2010 (15th overall), Ruth Hamblin 2016 (18th overall). Bashaara Graves 2016 (22nd overall), Ameryst Alston 2016 (24th overall); Third round: Alexis Prince 2017 (29th overall), Carlie Wagner 2018 (36th overall), Asia Taylor 2014 (36 overall).

Obviously some are at the end of their career, some were role players, and others are still trying to get on a team even though they were drafted once. Maybe some will still get picked up but their only option to keep playing is overseas given the limited number of positions in the WNBA. My guess is Kat will be making more than all of them very soon with her ND degree and her drive, whatever she does.

She still forever a legend by me. *
by jon  (2018-05-16 15:01:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pro Hoops.
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-15 19:03:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pro hoops are nice, but the 40 year decision is so much better. Heading to my 45th at Notre Dame in a week or so. Kat will kick butt in life, just as she did on the court.

As you said, attending graduation is a decent alternative *
by RISteve  (2018-05-15 18:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What?! Students still go to graduation?
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-16 09:45:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, I went to mine, probably forced by my parents. The only thing I learned was that a awful lot of people carried an awful lot of stuff under their gowns—mostly beer, but some pretty funny and clever things too.

I would rather have been playing for some pro team. I'm not sure "attending graduation is a decent alternative" to practicing with the Sparks, but, then again, some people like pomp and circumstance.

Fair question
by RISteve  (2018-05-16 11:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it is the parent in me, maybe it is the 40 year decision thing or most likely, a combination of both. I know L Allen pulled it off last year (WNBA roster or still trying to make the final roster) when she snuck away for a day and attended the graduation. Furthermore, given the improbable run at the title this season and the captaincy for Kat, I would think she would want to cap (no pun intended) her four years by attending the ceremonies. But, maybe I am just old fashioned and my thought process is becoming more warped by the day. And—would love to see Kat playing somewhere next year, be it overseas or wherever.

I did not sneak beer into any of my graduations, but I did wear shorts and a t-shirt under my gown to one of them…I was a rebel.

I agree. There are times when it is appropriate
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-16 12:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to create a ceremony celebrating important steps in life. Graduation from college probably should be one of them. Ritual is a great way to carve out a little meaning for ourselves. Lord knows there's so much else in life where we can't.

Attending Double Graduations This Week!!
by dillon77  (2018-05-16 16:19:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just finished attending elder daughter's in NYC (rain the whole time, but still fun and bearable).

Now, pack up the car and head out to South Bend.

I was ready to roll out of campus by the time it was graduation, but I enjoyed my ceremony with family, friends, Jimmy Carter and Ted the Head in charge.

Very proud of both my daughters. Looking forward to the whole schlebang!

My son made it to the finish line last weekend
by RISteve  (2018-05-16 19:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats!

My son graduated from American University last Saturday. AU Is the alma mater of Mr Fudd, so I had one eye open looking for him or his daughter. No such luck.

Well, at least I have one more off the payroll...onward and upward.

Congrats on Your Son's Graduation!
by dillon77  (2018-05-16 19:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sister-in-law graduated from law school there and really enjoyed it.

Didn't they win the Patriot League in WBB this year? Played UCLA (?) in the NCAAs?

Yes and yes...
by RISteve  (2018-05-16 20:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gave UCLA a decent game too. May have lost by 10-12 points. Patriot League is decent, but millions of miles from The ACC.

Wow, graduation central, congrats to your son and you also. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-16 22:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats to you and to your daughters! *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-16 17:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post