Just a little trivia quiz for the offseason
by cbiebel (2018-05-17 03:12:53)
Edited on 2018-05-17 03:33:48

I was scrolling through the record book looking for a few particular things, but ran across some interesting records, so I figured I'd throw out some as trivia questions. Don't cheat by looking them up.

1. Skylar Diggins is ND's all time leading scorer. She was a guard. Who is the all time leading scorer among post players?

2. Alicia Ratay was the best 3 point shooter in ND history (Most made and best %). She had the best 3 pt. percentage as a freshman and sophomore, but was 3rd best as a senior. Who shot better from 3 point range as a senior than Ratay did as a senior?

3. Alicia Ratay went a perfect 7-7 from 3 point range at Rutgers as a freshman. Sheila McMillan went a perfect 5-5 from 3 point range against UConn as a senior. Only one other player has been perfect with at least 5 shots attempted from 3 point range. Who was it?

4. Of the players who are in the top 7 in rebounds in a game, how many have played for Muffet McGraw?

5. Skylar Diggins tied for 3rd in most assists in a game against St. Francis. Who else is in the top 3 spots in assists in a game?

6. Who holds the top two spots for blocked shots in a game (okay, she's tied with 2 others for the #2 spot)?

7. Of the top 7 scoring average in a season records, three are by one player. Who is it? (BTW, good thing I checked this year's stats, because I almost said "top 6," but somebody happened to set the new record for this stat this year.)

8. True or false: The six best team A/TO ratios are from the last 6 seasons.

9. Two players have the opponent record for most steals in a game at 10. One is Shelly Klare from W. Michigan way back in 1983. Who is the other one (big hint: Think recruiting)?

10. Multiple choice question: The player who has the opponent record for most points scored against ND in the Joyce Center (35) is currently:

A. A professional Basketball player
B. A Women's Basketball coach
C. A cloistered nun
D. A politician

Sorry, but I've had to edit it a bit for question clarity and proper grammar.

Guesses. Some quite wild:
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-18 00:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not being able to consult my Notre Dame WBB guides (from 1984-2015), I bet I don’t get any correct. But fun questions.
1. Ruth Riley? Maybe Katryna Gaither?
2. Janeka Joyce???
3. M.Mabrey. Well, one of them.
4. Two or three at most. Jess Shepard was one, I would guess.
5. Laura Dougherty?
6. Tough one. Ruth Riley? Gaither? D’Amico? Crystal Erwin? Becca Bruzewski?
7. Gaither.
8. True
9.Dont ask how I know this. Brunelle’s mom.
10.No clue. Odessey Sims isn’t a nun. So it’s not her.

So, what is the suggested answer format?
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-17 08:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do we have to embarrass ourselves by submitting our guesses in a posted reply like this?
I'm really going to be embarrassed but I think I know #2, so I'll try to answer them all:
1) Ruth Riley,
2) Madison Cable,
3) Cable or a Mabrey,
4) 7,
5) No idea…mmm, Lindsay Allen (two names wanted? er…Niele Ivey),
6) Ruth Riley or Brianna Turner,
7) Arike Ogunbowale, this year, ummm…Beth Cunningham/Morgan,
8) Hmm…why would you ask it if it wasn't true? I want to say false because of TO's, but I'll say True,
9) Too big of a hint, since I would never have guessed—Niele Ivey
10) Oops, misread the question…A is the obvious answer so it's probably B. Notice how I just became a D.

Great quiz! I thought it would be impossible, but it was fun! Thanks.

Thought more people would try it: Answers...
by cbiebel  (2018-05-18 00:16:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Skylar Diggins is ND's all time leading scorer. She was a guard. Who is the all time leading scorer among post players?

It's Katrina Gaither. Ruth Riley came close (behind Gaither by 54 points), but didn't quite catch up with Gaither. The top 5 all time are Diggins, Morgan, Gaither, Riley, and Jewell Loyd.

2. Alicia Ratay was the best 3 point shooter in ND history (Most made and best %). She had the best 3 pt. percentage as a freshman and sophomore, but was 3rd best as a senior. Who shot better from 3 point range as a senior than Ratay did as a senior?

Madison Cable...twice. Cable actually did better than Ratay's senior season as both a regular senior and as a fifth year senior.

3. Alicia Ratay went a perfect 7-7 from 3 point range at Rutgers as a freshman. Sheila McMillan went a perfect 5-5 from 3 point range against UConn as a senior. Only one other player has been perfect with at least 5 shots attempted from 3 point range. Who was it?

Arike Ogunbowale. While prior to this year's Final Four she hasn't been known for her 3 point shooting generally, she did hit 5 of 5 vs Central Michigan last year.

4. Of the players who are in the top 7 in rebounds in a game, how many have played for Muffet McGraw?

Only 2. I was going to say "Who is the player who has 5 of the top 7 rebounds in a game stat?" but considering it was Jane Politiski who played back in the 1970s, I figured that would be way too hard. The 7th place finish is 19 in a game Natalie Achonwa and Heidi Bunek (1988) who each had 20 in a game played for McGraw.

5. Skylar Diggins tied for 3rd in most assists in a game against St. Francis. Who else is in the top 3 spots in assists in a game?

All 3 top spots belong to Mary Gavin (just before McGraw was hired). The reason I thought some might be able to guess this was because it was her record that Lindsay Allen broke and who was also still ahead of Skylar Diggins in assists.

6. Who holds the top two spots for blocked shots in a game (okay, she's tied with 2 others for the #2 spot)?

Amanda Barksdale. She's 4th all time in blocks despite transferring to Houston. She had 11 vs BC in 2002 and 8 vs Marquette in 2001.

7. Of the top 7 scoring average in a season records, three are by one player. Who is it? (BTW, good thing I checked this year's stats, because I almost said "top 6," but somebody happened to set the new record for this stat this year.)

Katrina Gaither again. She's one of those players who isn't the record holder in many stats, but is usually near the top in a whole bunch of categories. She was ranked 2nd, 5th, and 7th for her senior, junior, and sophomore years, respectively. Beth Morgan had the initial jump on her as a freshman, which is how she ended up ahead of her at the end.

8. True or false: The six best team A/TO ratios are from the last 6 seasons.

True. I was skimming that stat when I thought "Hey wait a minute, those were the previous 5 years!" I did the math and this year's A/T (around 1.3) was ranked #3.

9. Two players have the opponent record for most steals in a game at 10. One is Shelly Klare from W. Michigan way back in 1983. Who is the other one (big hint: Think recruiting)?

I don't know if you misinterpreted this question or were just joking with Ivey. The answer is Azzi Fudd's mom, formerly known as Katie Smrcka-Duffy at Georgetown with 10 steals back in 2000.

10. Multiple choice question: The player who has the opponent record for most points scored against ND in the Joyce Center (35) is currently:

A. A professional Basketball player
B. A Women's Basketball coach
C. A cloistered nun
D. A politician

It's funny, but you gave every answer but the right one (C).

I figured someone might be familiar with Villanova's greatest player, Shelly Pennefather (1984). She became a cloistered nun. There's a funny story about how Harry Perretta visited her back in 2003 and mentioned how they beat UConn in the BET and how exciting it was (It was when Nova broke a 70 game win streak for UConn). She didn't seem to understand why it was a big deal because when she played at Villanova, they beat UConn all the time.

Wow-FG% must have been pretty low in the 70's for Politski
by Domerduck  (2018-05-18 15:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to have 5 games with more than 20 rebounds. Muffet wouldn't have tolerated anybody shooting that bad or they would have been yanked. That was a good question as well as many of those. I like Dillon definitely had the Gaither answers but the rest would have beeb difficult if not impossible without research. i still would have guessed "true" for 8 since Allen was phenomenal in ATO her four years (I did a post on this as she was finishing her career) and this year we had to keep TOs down to survive and thrive as we did.

As for doing your quiz I drove even more than Dillon yesterday (700 miles - Corvallis to Portland and then down to Santa Rosa). That was a creative quiz but you need to give us 48 hours and tell us on your post the deadline so we can plan and deal with life along the way if you want more to try.

Agree. More time before the answers may have helped. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-18 15:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, I'll do that next time
by cbiebel  (2018-05-18 15:39:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was kind of a spur the moment thing and I didn't think about format or time limits.

Great quiz! Was going to complete today. Glad I did not
by RISteve  (2018-05-18 09:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You stumped me on several of these. Great memory stimulator for me. Glad you are not working for Jeopardy

So did I!
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-18 08:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am shocked, really shocked, that only Homeboy and myself took this fabulous quiz. Why are members of this board (all about a game) so adverse to games? I don't get it.

Anyway, the only consolation I can give myself is that I predicted my embarrassingly poor showing. If I counted correctly, I got 2 correct answers, and one was True or False. Even with the disappointing showing by board members, I came in last.

Congratulations to Homeboy on question #9! That is impressive. I'll be looking at your posts for clues as to where Azzi is headed. I guess I did misread the question or just wasn't thinking.

Cbiebel, IMHO ("humble" for me, for those into that debate) that was a great quiz and a fun exercise! Your answers make it even better. Thanks a ton.

(Edit: I almost added Dillon's driving excuse, but thought it not my place. I figured he would play…and probably win.)

Well, it was fun.
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-18 13:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t deserve congratulations on 9. I got it wrong. I went with the recruiting clue, and recall reading that a recruit’s mother played at Georgetown. I guessed wrong. Fudd, not Brunelle. But, I get a Participation Award!! Loved the trivia test. I had totally forgotten about Barksdale.

Oops, I can't read today! *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-18 15:37:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks For Doing...I would've Tried Yesterday....
by dillon77  (2018-05-18 08:31:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..but was driving a couple of hundred miles. I would've gotten a few. Note, only a few (although proud to say, I knew the Cable answers, as well as Gaither since we researched her for the Ring of Honor poll).

Great job!