Belibi commits to Stanford
by Fighting_Artichoke (2018-05-21 17:26:39)

I hope we get another player or two this class, but it's still really early. I wonder if she had an offer from ND.

Medical School
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-21 23:23:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting comment on Belibi’s part about a medical school on campus (in addition to the faith comment). While we don’t have a medical school, I thought that, at least years ago, Notre Dame had a very high admission rate for grads getting into medical school. Is that still the case? As an aside, are there other Catholic medical schools in the U.S. in addition to Georgetwown, Creighton and Loyola University Chicago?

Georgetown University Medical School's commencement
by soflalum  (2018-05-22 20:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was last Sunday. My niece was one of 12 ND alums in the graduating class of 190 students - by far the highest number from any undergraduate college, except for Georgetown itself. Also interesting was that the commencement speaker, who was also the only honorary degree recipient, was ND alum Thomas Nasca, who is head of the U.S. medical school accreditation organization.

We met one doing rounds when my daughter was born
by NJIrish04  (2018-05-23 22:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there in January. Guy saw my jacket and said "I have to ask - are you alums?" He was a soccer player at ND. Great kid. He echoed your sentiment - said there were a lot of Domers in his class (he may have been a 3rd year).

ND has a great reputation for preparing students for med
by dbcsmith  (2018-05-22 09:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

school. 3-10% of ND grads go to medical school and about 9% of our alumni are doctors. Acceptance rate into medical school from ND students is above 85%. There are some that took additional courses and worked relevant health care jobs that were later accepted into med school and are not in the acceptance statistics so in reality it may be 90%.

ND does have a not well known partnership with IU
by TWO  (2018-05-22 10:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

School of Medicine. Not quite the same thing of course as having a Medical School with a great reputation right there on campus like Stanford. But it right across the street from the Irish Green.

Indiana University School of Medicine—South Bend
IU School of Medicine-South Bend offers a well-established community medicine experience emphasizing small-group learning and one-on-one clinical training.

In partnership with the University of Notre Dame, students and an award-winning research-based faculty explore medicine in the midst of discovery about next-generation cures. IU School of Medicine-South Bend, like other campuses in the IU School of Medicine statewide system, offers exceptional clinical education opportunities and community participation through student groups, extracurricular activities and a strong partnership with local clinical providers.

Led by national experts in their fields, the medical education program at IU School of Medicine – South Bend follows the school’s statewide core curriculum. Plus, in partnership with Notre Dame, medical students at this campus can pursue combined degrees, including an MD/PhD or MS/MD in Global Health, and take part in research at the Harper Cancer Research Institute and the Eck Center for Global Health.

I think it's much more well known now because the new
by Tex Francisco  (2018-05-22 10:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

building is in such a prominent location. Back when I was at ND, I had no clue the program even existed. I think they were somewhere in the psychology building (I can't remember the name. Haggar?).

Per Your Point About Getting Into Med School...
by dillon77  (2018-05-22 07:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...this year's salutatorian is attending John Hopkins and the valedictorian, after getting a masters in Spanish, plans to also attend medical school.

This decision seemed to be very data-driven for sure (35 questions to answer about each school). If that's what her research got her to, all power to Fran.

No one will argue that Notre Dame could not prepare you
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-22 08:38:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for med school. Let's be honest, though (and temporarily take off our green hats), I'm not going to fault Francesca for choosing Harvard, Princeton, or Stanford over Notre Dame. As you say, good luck to her. It appears Stanford got a very smart and talented player.

Fully Agree
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-22 08:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can’t criticize a recruit’s choice of Stanford, of all of our WBB competitors, on the 4-40 year basis. Or Harvard, or, despite its lack of a medical school, Princeton.

I wonder why Princeton is the only Ivy League
by TWO  (2018-05-22 10:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

School without any Professional Schools. 7 of the 8 have Medical Schools, 5 of the 8 have Law Schools and 3 of the 8 have Dental Schools.

They do offer professional graduate degrees in a few areas.
by dfw  (2018-05-22 11:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mainly engineering, architecture and public policy. Princeton has always been focused on being a great undergraduate school, so has been less interested in building its graduate school opportunities.

Good question. But there is also
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-22 10:34:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the separate Princeton Theological Seminary, also AAA/Aaa rated. In essence a grad school. Not part of Princeton University.

St. Louis University School of Medicine. *
by HoundDog1973  (2018-05-21 23:57:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Medical College of Wisconsin.
by D8NDomer  (2018-05-22 13:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For 60 some years was Marquette School of Medicine, so they have close ties. I've had a couple relatives graduate from Marquette and they are proud of their medical connections and training.

I've always wondered why..
by TWO  (2018-05-22 15:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when some Private Universities that had both Medical and Dental Schools chose to close their Dental Schools (Georgetown, Emory, Loyola)in favor of their Medical Schools, while Marquette closed it's Medical School and not it's Dental School.

Interesting question that you proposed
by saintapollonia  (2018-05-23 13:46:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Norhtwestern also used to have a dental school

She mentions that Stanford was the clear choice in terms
by MPG  (2018-05-21 21:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of "basketball, faith, and the fact that it had a medical school on campus." We know that she made an official visit to ND, but we must assume that Jones and Amihere are higher priorities.

It has been awhile since that ND has had a player from the west. Perhaps Haley Jones will change that. I would also like to see a forward every couple of years from Texas which seems to have several good ones each year.

All Power To Her. Not Sure This Impacts the Irish That Much.
by dillon77  (2018-05-21 22:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While Fran Belibi is quite a story - relatively new to the game, can dunk, parents are doctors -- I'm not all that certain it impacts the Irish that much.
She's a 6'1" athlete and unless the Irish were to tweak their offensive system, I think her abilities were not an easy fit in terms of the ND offensive system.

If ND goes after an athletic forward, always thought Laeticia Amihere was the key. And many people are not even that sure of that, given her knee injuries.

For some reason, I think ND is looking at Amihere but perhaps even more so at Aliyah Boston as a low-post addition to Mik Vaughn. Sydnee Roby may be a back-up option there, but the news on Gusters in 2020 makes me think MM is going hard after top-line talent for the 2019...Boston, Amihere and/or Jones. If not them, she'll look to make those up in 2020 with a Gusters, Marshall, Watson, etc.

Stay tuned.

BTW, where's the "faith" in Stanford that is mentioned in the article, outside of the Belibi belief in the Hippocratic tie-ins?

Faith At Notre Dame
by Finn58 (click here to email the poster)  (2018-05-22 09:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame has a reputation for being a bastion for liberal Catholicism.
Many families are turned off by the actions of Father Jenkins and the liberalism of the faculty. FB's decision makes sense in light the kind of Catholicism Notre Dame offers.
Don't shoot the messenger, I am just reflecting what parents of prospective students have told me and reading the information from the Sycamore Trust group.
It is better now than it was in the past when it was an unwritten law,
"no orthodox Catholics theologians allowed"

Stanford certainly lacks a reputation liberal Catholicism * *
by ufl  (2018-05-22 09:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoa. I Find It Interesting....
by dillon77  (2018-05-22 09:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that my casual aside about how "faith" factored into a decision between one Roman Catholic School and three distinctly non-sectarian schools can be offered up as a decision on the purported leanings of the Notre Dame administration and faculty. Seems a bit of a stretch.

You have your points of view (as I have mine), but I don't think McGraw's Bench is the proper venue to to address this subject. I see a political board on ND Nation here but not a religious or institutional direction board....those would be the proper areas to bring up such discussions.

p.s. I will say one thing: having just spent four days on campus talking to and listening to faculty and students, and hearing statements from salutatorians, valedictorians, honored speakers (whom ND administration chooses), I was quite proud of the meshing of faith and the educational pursuit of the individual students and collective university body.

My guess is you and I would have an interesting take on the Land o' Lakes declaration. But not on this particular board....

Completely agree…whoa.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-22 09:26:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While discussing philosophy and religion is a great joy in my life, nothing could be less appropriate here. (There must be a board rule against it.)

Utterly absurd.
by SorinBasement  (2018-05-22 09:09:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps she prefers the disgusting and blasphemous actions of the Stanford band and tree.

I'm not taking this out on the recruit, but any insinuation that ND takes a spiritual backseat to Stanford is badly misguided.

I'm ND undergrad alum and Stanford grad alum
by soflalum  (2018-05-22 21:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I completely agree that Stanford is certainly one of the most anti-religious - mostly anti-Christian/Catholic - schools in the country. Any student going there will be ridiculed by professors and fellow students for expressing any Christian, especially Catholic, belief in God.

For what it's worth
by Drmurray  (2018-05-21 18:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was not listed on the Muffet Twitter follow list