Another Pre-Season Poll
by RISteve (2018-05-24 13:21:49)

This is a very early WBB Top 10 for 2018-19. Richard Deitsch, formerly of SI, is now at The Athletic, a pay site. I do not have access to the site, nor am I am promoting, I just know the writer is an avid WBB follower. He picks ND #1,, no surprise, but I cannot see much else. In any event, if you gave access, enjoy,

Here's my (very-early) 2018-19 preseason women's basketball Top 10 for The Athletic's @TheAthleticCBB. The @ndwbb is preseason No. 1. Thoughts from @MuffetMcGraw here:

Link, below

I subscribed
by Orangutan  (2018-05-24 16:55:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll see how it goes. Deitsch claims that women's coverage will be a regular feature on their college basketball page.

Article includes some comments from Muffet. Paraphrasing (so as to respect the paywall) a couple notable remarks:

*Complacency will be next year's biggest challenge
*Rotation is a concern with more options next year

Here's the Projected Top Ten...
by dillon77  (2018-05-24 15:25:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(list courtesy of Orangutan)

1. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
3. UConn
4. Baylor
5. Louisville
6. Stanford
7. Maryland
8. Texas
9. Mississippi State
10. Missouri

Thanks for deciphering
by RISteve  (2018-05-24 15:56:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maryland and Missouri are two surprises to me, Stanford notwithstanding.

Scratching my head a bit at Stanford
by goirish01  (2018-05-24 15:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think OSU is a big miss - they are going to be really good. And as much as I enjoy Tennessee's freefall into prolonged mediocrity, they could easily float around 7-10 in this poll.

..And a Few Thoughts
by dillon77  (2018-05-24 15:27:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the poll is meant to indicate the rankings at the beginning of the season, I think the top four teams look right. Relative to other teams, some of the other "usual suspects" might look right is a list (top 20), but I've got some questions on:

- Stanford. Is incoming freshman Lexie Hull going to play at Brittany McPhee's level? Is soph. forward Maya Dodson going to take the next step? If not, where's the consistent scoring and leadership coming from? Tara will no doubt get them better as the season goes on but it will take a bit.

- Louisville: It's probably just me but Pitt transfer Diop or Kylee Shook ares not Myisha Hines-Allen. H-A's overall blend of scoring, rebounding, athletic ability and toughness will be very difficult to replace for that team.

- Mississippi State: Question mark. If Ms. Howard joins, that's a lot of rebounds and possible second chances. If not, who makes up for Vivians?

- Missouri: The only other double-digit point scorer besides Ms. Cunningham graduated and this was a very thin team (depth-wise) to begin with.

On the other hand, expecting some noise from:
- Oregon State. Yes, Marie Gulich is graduated, but Rueck is grooming another round of posts. Plus, he's got Destiny Slocum ready to run the whole show, which has all the other starters and main subs back. Maybe not top Ten in the beginning, but very shortly thereafter.