Trigger warning — This post may be controversial.
by BabaGhanouj (2018-08-03 11:20:04)
Edited on 2018-08-03 11:38:42

I’m hesitant to say this, but aren’t the FIBA U-whatever tournaments for women's basketball a bit silly? Certainly not totally silly, the girls get to be celebrated as the best 12 in the country. They get to travel, make new friends, have parades when they get home, but, seriously, it’s embarrassing. It’s embarrassing for all the other countries and participants, for the fans who aren’t relatives of the U.S. girls, for the idea of parity, and even for the girls themselves, who work so hard after being told this will be seriously tough competition. I’m not sure what I am proposing, (and, full disclosure, somehow we did take a bronze medal at one time), but couldn’t some changes be made so that the games are more competitive? (Mill stones come to mind.)

Secondly, and this is related to the first, if they are to be more-or-less scrimmages against vastly inferior opponents, can we slack off on the cold, militaristic manner of deportment. I’m talking about the U17 approach here. Nary a fist pump from Baby Brunelle, nor jubilant jumps from Azzi or Paige or the rest of the team. We saw they were told to have fun, but did not hear the restrictions. It must have been hell for Sam to swallow her exuberance and passion. I understand that Coach Carla Berube was trained in the break-em-down school of UConn methodology and I revel in the incredible job she did in whipping the team into place, but, perhaps, these tournaments could be more touristy than torturous, given the competition.

I don’t know. That’s just what I’m thinking today.

At one time, the men's game was the same way
by NDoggie78  (2018-08-03 12:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now there is more parity in the other countries. I guess I see these U-whatever as maybe expanding and developing the women's game internationally.

Other than that, there is currently better competition in AAU and other tournaments nationally. My only interest is to see how ND recruits perform

Tourneys benefit other countries and players
by SixShutouts66  (2018-08-03 17:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you said other countries in Men's BB upgraded the quality of their game and played a style of ball that suited their talents. As I've said before, ND benefited from playing and being trounced initially by UCONN, and raising our game. Additionally this can be a showcase for foreign players seeking an opportunity for a college scholarship to the US.

I suspect the subdued demeanor of the US team is a deliberate attempt to not appear disrespectful of the other teams. Sportsmanship seems much more prevalent in women's sports.

I don't care for them.
by NDBass  (2018-08-03 11:46:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think young people are too one-sport focused all year round. I'd prefer them have time away to do other activities/play different sports/rest.

I was never at the level of these players. I can see where they think this is necessary to keep advancing or just want to do it. Sometimes adults need to protect young people from themselves, though.

I'm going to remember this line:
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-08-03 13:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Sometimes adults need to protect young people from themselves"

What I really like about it is that "themselves" possibly could be construed either as the "young people" or the "adults".

These tournaments are really just sightseeing trips ....
by thethinman  (2018-08-03 12:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a little basketball thrown in.