What we learned from Anaya in the FIBA Americas games
by BabaGhanouj (2018-08-09 17:34:24)
Edited on 2018-08-09 17:40:43

Congrats to Anaya and her teammates for bringing home the gold from Mexico!

Anaya Peoples averaged 19.2 min./game, slightly less than only Aijha Blackwell (19.3) and Maori Davenport (20.0) while shooting, by far, the worst of anyone on the team—34%. The next lowest were two at 40%. So why did she play so much? Because Coach What’s-His-Name really supports Notre Dame. We saw this earlier by the selection of three Notre Dame women for the U18 team. OK, I’m kidding, but only a bit. Obviously Coach What’s-His-Name does not hold grudges, at least not as long as us ND fans. 😉

Whatever the case, the main reason Anaya Peoples played so much, and at crucial times in the Canada game, was her extraordinary quickness, arm length, defense, vision, and overall basketball sense. These qualities were reflected in leading the team in steals with 15, and assists (tied with MVP Rhyne Howard) with 18. Those who watched the games saw her positioning and reflexes in nearly getting a hand on every pass her opponent threw. It was amazing. Even when the US did not get a turnover, she altered the trajectory of many passes.

If Anaya plays like this for the Irish, It will be fun to count the number of passes she intercepts bound for her ‘man’ and deflects from her ‘man’. Shooting, undoubtedly will fall into place, but like height, you can't teach arm length—and only to a limited degree, quickness.

Oh, did I mention she tied for the lead in assists despite not playing much point guard?

Also
by NOBBYDOMER  (2018-08-09 20:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right on the assists....like Brunelle she hits open teammates and passes on her shots. Also, as previously mentioned, she is physically strong and is very good taking it to the hoop.
Love the inside/out offense which sets up shooters and draws fouls, and opens up cutters. And, even next year with a full squad, I can't wait for a more aggressive defense.

Peoples
by westsideirish  (2018-08-09 20:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anaya is just scratching the surface of her talent. I said last year when she committed that she is the type of player who always went to UConn. You did a beautiful job of describing her game. Put her with the other “team oriented” stars that Muffet is bringing in and we are near the golden age of Irish WBB. Season tickets arrive in October. I can’t wait for the season. If you are local get as many tickets as you can. If you’re not local plan to make a trip to Notre Dame to see this team play up close and personal. You will not regret it.

People who need Peoples
by PWK2  (2018-08-10 16:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are NDWBB fans.

We're the luckiest people in the world.

It's like we have ESP
by SWPaDem  (2018-08-11 17:15:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

N or something.