Sydney Parrish Picks Up Offers from Duke, Among Others
by dillon77 (2018-08-16 15:16:03)

Sydney Parrish, the 2020 wing from Indiana, has picked up a number of offers from D1 programs.

- Sydney Parrish, 6-1 W, Hamilton Southeastern HS (IN): Duke, Iowa State, LSU, North Carolina, Northwestern

These catch my attention for the following reasons:

- the Duke and Northwestern offers underscore that Ms. Parrish has been doing well enough academically to get into some top universities and, based on that, probably qualifies to do so at Notre Dame.

- Duke? Looks like Blue Devil Coach Joanne P. McCallie is going after yet another tall Hoosier guard in the same way she did with Rebecca Greenwell.
(Coincidentally, McCallie herself is also a Northwestern graduate.)

- A former Domer probably got into the mix with the LSU offer, given that Michaela Mabrey is now directing LSU's recruiting efforts. Mike probably saw Parrish's Gym Rats AAU team frequently when she was working for the Miami of Ohio team, led by former Irish PG Megan Duffy.

- To go full circle, former Irish asst. coach Bill Fennelly is Iowa State's HC so there's a lot of related Irish interest.

We know there is mutual interest here, but I still think the Irish will/will not make a move on Parrish (and/or other 2020 wings) until 2019's Haley Jones makes up her mind where she's going to college. If Jones comes to ND, there's your Irish wing.

If not, 2020's slew of tall guards/wings -- Parrish, Mady Westbeld or Ali Campbell -- could be a really interesting group to pay attention to over the next year.

Stay tuned.

Interestingly Enough, Ms Parrish Just Tweeted..
by dillon77  (2018-08-17 08:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..a shot (see link) that has a mess of school decals, but not ND. There's no context offered and a few folks (Orangutan among them) thinks this is just a compilation of offers.

I agree...and think Ms. Parrish is another person who has an interest in seeing how the Haley Jones visit goes this September.

another observation
by pablo  (2018-08-17 10:48:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

long time reader, first time poster here. What interests me about this tweet is that there are none of the really elite offers. Besides ND, there is no uconn, baylor, louisville, south Carolina, baylor. She doesn't seem to be a priority, or these schools are all after bigger fish.

Recruitting of Parrish
by hempfield75  (2018-08-18 18:05:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is my take on the recruiting of Parrish. First she is an Indiana player. The number one objective of most schools are to put a wall around instate players. If there is ever a year to expand the roster I believe this is it. First, We are going to lose 4 great players at the end of this year. The next year we will have a very young and fairly in experienced team. We are going to need a bigger bench. Our offense if mostly about running and transition. With exception of UCONN not many teams are going to want to get into a running game with ND. Lets say each position last about 30 seconds without a turnover or timeout. That could give the starters maybe a 3 to 4 minute at a time break. That will help have our best players fairly fresh in the 4th quarter. It will make it a lot more difficult for a team to stay with ND and most teams will not have the depth or be as fresh. We should own the 4th. Lets say we do get Jones. Still take a player like Parrish or another wing. If you are recruiting your type of player there will be little issues with sharing time. The bottom line is winning and developing. You can do both. We all know that shooters can be streaking. They are not always on their best game. So now you have an extra wing/post player that can help inside or outside. I would think keeping starters around 25 minutes per game is almost perfect. How many other teams will ND play can rest their starters 15 minutes against ND. Not many. With all the talent in 19 and 20 expanding the roster I would be great for the whole team. After this year, only Jackie will be on the team that has more than 25 minutes per game. I also believe this is another good way to build team chemistry and unity. So I say take Jones, Parrish and or 1 other wing. Besides, in ND's offense your not set at anyone position. Your pretty much all 5. That is my take on recruiting an additional wing.

SEG/Chief

Welcome Aboard and Good Point.
by dillon77  (2018-08-17 12:40:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the schools on that tweet represent offers up to now. If you look at a number of schools that you mentioned, they're currently in play for a number of the gifted wings that are in the class of 2019: Haley Jones, Rickea Jackson, Breanna Beal, Jordon Horston, etc.

ND is going hard after Jones, as are UConn, Stanford, Louisville, etc.

I think ND - and a lot of these schools - are seeing how they do before looking at the tall guard/wings of 2020.

That said, Parrish does seem to have hit a bit of a plateau...but that could change depending on who gets who in 2019.

Thanks for the info on Parrish's offers. Sydney is
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-08-16 16:36:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

certainly a tall guard from Indiana, but Greenwell hails from Kentucky, not Indiana. McCalley got another tall guard from the midwest a few years ago, but Tricia Liston was from Illinois.

Aw c'mon, she was born in Evansville...
by dillon77  (2018-08-16 17:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..even though I now (kinda) remember she went to HS in Owensboro, KY. (Insert slightly embarrassed emoji here).

The main takeaway I have is that she chose Duke even though ND was very interested in her. Still, I admired her game and gumption, even if she did play for Duke.

As I said in my earlier post, I think it will be really interesting to see what plays out after the last push for the '19's transpires.