Tonight Loyd probably becomes a champion. Mcgraw, Ivey,
by Jon (2018-09-12 17:31:43)

@ndwbb and many other Irish will wish her many heartfelt congratulations. I'm sure of it.

Would it have been so hard for her to have done the same back in April? At least once?

Still, happy for her.

She seems more at home with Stewart and Bird
by Murcer68  (2018-09-12 20:36:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's her life and she can live it however she wants. Still, as a ND alumnus and a ND WBB fan, it bothers me that she seems to enjoy being around UConn players and she doesn't care at all about her former ND teammates. For me, that's very sad.

Stewart and Bird are her teammates now, so she she needs to
by MPG  (2018-09-12 22:45:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be close with them. There are college rivals in many sports who become teammates and friends in the pros. Bird and Stewart are great players and seem to be positive people.

Consider this (link)
by Kayo  (2018-09-12 21:17:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she gets enough of this shit (see link), after re-tweeting Kobe Bryant praising Arike's big shot in this case, maybe Loyd doesn't feel the same love from ND fans that you want her to show to the program.

Loyd got the Spencer Haywood treatment when she left the program. I don't blame her for having hard feelings if, indeed, she does. Her visit last season was a step in the right direction for one and all. Supposed ND fans shouldn't be picking at the scab.

47 years after Haywood left Detroit, he had his number retired. It would be nice if everyone would let go of how much Jewell does or does not love Notre Dame so she can get fully connected with the mothership and into the Ring of Honor in less than 47 years.

Well said…always remember Rule 24.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-13 07:37:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Everyone here realizes the relative importance of sports."

Real fans can ponder loyalty, and still be happy for her (link)
by Jon  (2018-09-12 23:06:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Preach On Kayo! I agree with everything you wrote. *
by hibernianangst  (2018-09-12 22:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last I Checked, AD's # is in the Ring of Honor...
by dillon77  (2018-09-13 08:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as is Troy Murphy who also left early and graduated from Columbia!

For the umpteenth time, could the manner is which the transition was handled be done better (by both sides)? Yes, of course.

But given everything I've read and seen since then, Jewell made a decision that was right for her and appears to be very happy. And successful.

Congrats, Jewell!

I'll be rooting for her hard to make the U.S. National Team if she chooses to try out after the finals. And I'll be she's there.

She was #1 pick - she wouldn't have been a year later
by NDoggie78  (2018-09-13 09:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if this translates into more $$$ as it does in other pro sports but it still brings acclaim and is quite an accomplishment. We all wanted her to stay, but some need to get over her leaving.

One college goal is to get the best job possible when you leave - she did that. And in hindsight, seeing the 4 ACLs this past year, reinforces her decision. Hopefully time heals wounds - both sides - and she is welcomed back into the fold by everyone. Ring of Honor would be a good step. Jewell getting her degree would be another.

Also, there have been kids that have left/graduated from ND without the love most of us here have. Sometimes that takes a few years to truly realize - give her time.

She has the right to live her life the way she wants
by Murcer68  (2018-09-14 16:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no disputing that. I'm happy for her if she is happy with the choices she has made. But if the only way she could be the first pick in the draft is to come out early, is that really as much of an achievement as if she turned pro after four years and went against Stewart in the draft and had been picked first overall? That's how I would look at it, but again, she can lead her life however she wants.

In any case, my original post was about the seeming rift between her and the other ND players of that era. If that is true, that's what I find sad. How fans (such as myself) view her loyalty or view anything else about her situation shouldn't concern her at all. The viewpoint of strangers (like me) should mean nothing to her.

It also gave ND a unique distinction...
by cbiebel  (2018-09-14 00:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're the only school to have a top 3 draft pick for the WNBA for four straight years (2012-2015: Peters (#3), Diggins (#3), McBride (#3), and Loyd (#1)). Even UConn hasn't done that.

She did get some sort of compensation for
by rick  (2018-09-13 12:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being the first pick. It might have been a bonus or an endorsement.

Honest question
by txirish74  (2018-09-12 20:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's well known how many of our WBB alums come back and support the team. Has Jewel ever been one to do that?

She came to a game last season
by Kayo  (2018-09-12 20:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hug from Coach McGraw. Introduced to the crowd during a timeout.

Like many others who played at Notre Dame, Loyd plays overseas during the WCBB season; so she can't attend very often. They live very different time zones, have odd travel schedules, and don't get many long breaks that allow trips home. When they do return to the USA, it might be for a family event rather than a trip to South Bend.

Skylar Diggins makes more games than most because she earns more than the average woman basketball player off the court. She and her husband are South Bend natives, so home for family easily incorporates a visit to campus. Otherwise, those who are around a lot have had their fill of playing in Europe or Asia.

thx! *
by txirish74  (2018-09-13 15:22:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post