Alli Campbell is Irish! * (link)
by Mike (2018-09-13 05:48:23)
Edited on 2018-09-13 06:08:14

Fantastic. I hope it helps pull in Paige. *
by Jon  (2018-09-13 12:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of these decisions are made independently
by Kayo  (2018-09-14 10:41:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of elite recruits become close friends, and I'm sure they discuss playing together; but in the end, most players choose a school for their own reasons more than by who else is going. Personality fit with the rest of the team and the desire to play with other great players might cause friends to choose the same school; but academic considerations, coaching style, location's effect on family's ability to attend home games are examples of factors that vary significantly from one young woman to the next.

I don't put much stock in one choice affecting another unless there's a logjam consideration.

Question to women hoops czars, does her commitment
by Indy77  (2018-09-13 12:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mean that that young ladies from Iowas and Minnesota would no longer be in the picture? I love their play.

Not at all....Bueckers/Clark are top shelf...
by Wolfetone  (2018-09-13 13:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allison might play more at Wing/SG as MM loves her versatility.

No (imho)
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-13 12:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both of them would be more doubtful, but, like others have said, no one knows what's going on or knows what is better for the team than Muffet.

Per my chart 🙃, for the 20-21 season we currently have committed or "verballed" 5 guards and wings. We typically have more than 5. We currently have 7, although 1 is a walk-on.

Found this on South Carolina site 4/27/17
by NDoggie78  (2018-09-13 12:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny, we have commitments from both players she went to watch

"SC is her first elite offer. She showed out at the Deep South Classic, Dawn was there scouting Sam Brunelle but Campbell apparently stole the show that day."

Allison Campbell, 5-11, guard, Central PA Dynamite 2020 U15 (Altoona, Pennsylvania)
"Sometimes, you find a quality player by pure accident. Campbell was playing an opponent I came to watch. In crushing that team, this offensively versatile freshman stood out by initiating the offense but often scoring the ball as well. Right-handed, she prefers to go left to drive. She also showed a nice step-back perimeter stroke. Coming onto the event with a couple of modest Division 1 offers, she will likely be getting Power 5 inquiries in the weeks ahead."

Allison Campbell
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-13 11:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We know she is good. The question, which will continually be answered for the next six years, and possibly beyond, is how good?

Currently she is ranked 22 Blue Star, 23 Prospects, 24 HoopGurlz, so she should eventually be a McD All American. Last year, as a sophomore, she was the go-to player on her Class 2A (out of 6A) Bellwood-Antis High School team while playing point guard and serving as captain. Her team won the state championship, and she was named, not only the 2A player of the year, but also PA’s Gatorade Player of the Year. Remember she was a sophomore. She is typically listed as 6 ft. tall.

We know she is extremely smart. She has proved this in many ways including having to call Stanford to tell them she would not be coming. We also know she was among the last 18 finalists for U17 USA team. Last year she averaged 26.4 points per game, 5.1 assists, 8.2 rebounds, 4.1 steals, and 1.7 blocks. She is a good 3 point shooter, but the bulk of her 26+ points/game did not come beyond the arc. Unfortunately, there is not much video of her play. If anyone has seen her play or has found video, sharing would be appreciated.

PG vs Wing
by NOBBYDOMER  (2018-09-13 12:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10th rated PG Hoopgurlz; 7th rated Prospects Nation.
The short video basically shows her hitting 3's. MM loves shooters. She is only a Soph and Gatorade Player of Year!
But in everyone's mind, the question remains how this affects higher rated recruits e.g Buekers et al.
Bottom line, in MM we trust.

Wing
by Mike  (2018-09-13 12:55:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have seen her play numerous times and coached against her at the jr hi level. I've posted this before but she will be a 2 or 3 for ND. She plays PG for Bellwood because, well, she's the best player on the floor and is a very smart kid. So why wouldn't you have the ball in her hands as much as possible? She is not only tall but long.

Thanks. Here are some interesting early recruiting efforts…
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-15 11:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or just people Allison was interested in meeting.

From 2016:

From 2015:

Fantastic news! Here's a short highlight clip (link)
by Orangutan  (2018-09-13 10:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats to Alli! (and a 2020 guard question)
by NDoggie78  (2018-09-13 09:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now that we are approaching Boneyard loftiness in regards to which top ranked recruits we will get, how many guards will we take? If Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark both want to come, do we take all 3? (Like I said Boneyard type questions - isn't it great!). And there is a 2021 guard we really want - as does everyone in the country. Muffet, in her infinite wisdom, did host all four at Nielefest and obviously, Miss Cambpell didn't have an offer contingent on others.

As mentioned, she might possibly play on the wing. And we have had plenty of 3 (sometimes 4) guard offenses. Nielefest 3 out of 11, Sign them all!

I only saw the brief Hudl clip.
by ndbutch  (2018-09-13 10:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But she looked very much like a wing. Also looked closer to the 5-11 ESPN lists than the 5-8 PN references. But it'll be close to 2 years before she even enrolls so plenty of time for it all to get sorted out.

Certainly A Bunch of Guards. 2019, 2021 Have Influence.
by dillon77  (2018-09-13 10:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Alli Campbell walks into practice in 2020:
- Jackie Young will have graduated;
- Jordan Nixon, Katlyn Gilbert and Abby Prohaska will be juniors; and,
- Anaya Peoples will have one year under her belt.

My gut is that one current player and two prospects will influence things:
- Jordan Nixon. The frosh. How good will she be as a frosh? MM and Niele will be able to tell if this is a four-year contributor (a la Lindsay Allen) or if she can use some help.
- Haley Jones. If we get her, the wing/small forward position is signed, sealed delivered for four years.
- Azzi Fudd. Yes, she's not due to graduate until 2021, but her the concept of getting her is huge. Another four-year starter, no questions asked.

So...
- If Jordan is great, our combo guards of Katlyn, Anaya or Alli could all be the "spell" point guard.
Then, maybe MM goes after the guard who can best play off guard, which Bueckers has been doing a lot of.

(On the other hand, I like and admire Clark, Bueckers and Campbell...)

- In regards to wing, if Jones does not come, will MM see if the continually growing Campbell (allegedly 6' tall now) be considered for wing? Or does one also look at 6'1" Sydney Parrish? 6'2" Maddy Westbeld?

- And as for Ms. Fudd, probably does not seem like prudent planning to consider the "beyond" as a factor, considering the whole world wants her, so just go after her, regardless of who is on the roster.

One other factor - high school kids can change their minds
by NDoggie78  (2018-09-13 11:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i.e. Jenna Brown. Not suggesting this might happen, but you have to keep recruiting - 2020 is a long way away in recruiting.

Any reaction from the Boneyard ? *
by Tim Kelley  (2018-09-13 10:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Relative Benign Response To My Post (So Far) *
by dillon77  (2018-09-13 11:34:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, the input coming back largely has to do with how this might impact us going forward in regards to --- drum roll, please -- Paige and Caitlin.

ND has three guards in our offense and unless Dani Patterson carves out a special role for herself and/or Haley Jones comes (anytime, Haley), I think the Irish will continue doing this.

Plus, we'll have room on the roster.

Recruiting Bonanza!!!
by RISteve  (2018-09-13 09:49:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any impact to Paige?

Awesome! Congrats and Go Irish! *
by drmurray  (2018-09-13 09:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx! Added to Recruiting Update.... *
by dillon77  (2018-09-13 09:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A nice compliment for Mary Forr as well.
by CKDexterHaven  (2018-09-13 08:06:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Western PA players have generally provided a good ROI. Grit, determination, backbone. All great attributes for true team players.

Twitter (link)
by Mike  (2018-09-13 07:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent! That was my guess/post
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-13 07:11:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the most likely of the recruitapalooza girls to verbal/commit. Although Sam was the first to verbal (Anaya had already reported she would come.), which was a bit of a surprise, Allison is the first of the 2020's. I can take some comfort that I'm not completely out of touch in my recruiting speculation. (She was the first to turn in her completed puzzle😀)

I was also hoping she would come. I voted for her in our polls. Congratulations Alli!!!

Thanks Mike!

Speculation welcome on what, if anything, this means to future guards. She plays a PG, but has the size of a wing.

(Full disclosure, this post is from the Jersey Shore, where we have had consistent rain and clouds.)

Just An Excellent Addition to the Team, Campus
by dillon77  (2018-09-13 08:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great academics.

Has grown physically a lot since her name first appeared on these boards and is now around 6' tall. As Baba said, she's a tall guard and could possibly fill in at wing (if the Jones crusade falters).

And she keeps getting better:
- Almost made the u17 team (was a finalist)
- Had a great tourney in D.C., which MM attended. One of my old man hoops buddies is a coach and attended Philly Belles games. He thought she was by far the most consistent on the team and thought her presence and composure was a natural for MM's offense.

Congrats to the staff and to Alli. Great, great start for 2020.

p.s. Baba -- sorry for the weather. Could be a lot worse, of course.

Ali just made an old Domer happy! *
by sixtythreer  (2018-09-13 20:34:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post