Response on Roby's Choices
by dillon77 (2018-09-17 16:26:31)

In reply to: Sydney Roby announces final 5 and ND is not on it.  posted by Fighting_Artichoke

Yeah, I know she isn't bothering with ND (or maybe ND wasn't bothering with her any longer), but when you've been listing her for as long as I/we have, you start paying attention to little things.

I've looked at the five finalists, as well as ND, and here's a little bit on each situation. This is only from a basketball perspective:

- California: The very gifted Kristine Anigwe is in her senior year and will be unleashed on WNBA. Great situation to walk into for a bruiser like Roby. California plays uptempo and presses on defense.

- Michigan State: Jenna Allen is a senior and there will be an opening there, too, in 2019. Plus star forward Sidney Cooks is from Kenosha, WI, and I'll be these two know each other. They'd get to play together for two years.

- Marquette: Most of you remember that this team is ostensibly a team of very determined, athletic guards who just come at you all the time. Tori McCoy is still contending with her serious illness, so there is very much an opening (need) at center and the hometown girl could fill it.

- Miami (of Florida). Remember 6'4" Beatrice Mompremier, the transfer from Baylor? Well, she's eligible this year and would have one more year to go in 2019-2020. Nice way to segue into Miami's rotation.

- Texas A&M. Remember Ciera Johnson, the 6'4" Texan center who went to Louisville and then ran into the numbers game that is known as Coach Who Must Not Ben Mentioned's recruiting strategy. Well now she's back in Texas and will get a chance to hopefully get a pass from Chennedy Carter.
Roby would be with Johnson for two years and they're very similar players.

- ND. In 2019, ND will have Mik Vaughn at the low post for sure and maybe Danielle Cosgrove. We'll have to see where Danielle ends up. Is she low? high? A Jess Shepard combo?

And, of course, it's apparent that MM wants to get at least one more big down low (Boston, Amihere). If either one of these comes, I can understand why Ms. Roby might look elsewhere.

If Ms. Roby wants her family to see her, think Marquette or Michigan State. If she likes Cal and the campus vibes, the Bears sound great.
And Miami is awfully well coached. Plus, if want the opposite of Milwaukee weather....

Having said all this, watch her choose A&M.

Stay tuned.