A Post And/Or Forward Seems The Way To Go ...
by dillon77 (2018-09-18 11:40:16)

In reply to: One way or another, ND needs another forward for 2019. As  posted by MPG

... for the early signing period. Then again, that's who is taking the OVs to ND: Boston and Maul Tshitenge-Mutombo (posts); Amihere (forward) and Jones (wing/small forward).

- I agree with one of the points Orangutan made in that the Irish coaching staff are concentrating their efforts (for now) on these three, now that T-M has committed to North Carolina.

- And my gut says the order is: Jones (because she's Haley Jones); Boston and Amihere. But how you can go wrong with any of them when you combine them with Brunelle and Peoples?

HOW MANY?

- As stated, ND currently will have 9 scholarship players in Fall 2019 (and Kaitlin Cole, who will be on the roster as a senior whether she has some aid or not).
- Some combination of two of Jones, Boston and Amihere would bring the count to 11 (12 if you count Cole), which is a number MM likes. Plus those players would fit in well with the roster.
- And in 2020, when Young and Cole moves on, that brings the count to 10. So count on MM to go after one more player in addition to the verbally committed Alli Campbell. My guess is that's a sole point guard.

If the staff gets less than 2, all bets off.

CONTINGENCY PLANS

- Depends on who commits, what ND coaching staff thinks of other possible players that are left and/or verbally uncommitted.
E.g., do they like Roby enough to drop a dime if the Irish don't bet Boston or they think they really need a post? Just because Roby announced a five does not mean she's beholden to them. Katelynn Satterfield had a five, then just took an OV to Oregon, which was not one of them.

- Don't expect this search to go internationally, unless there's been a marked shift in approach. Southern Ontario seems to be as far as the Irish want to go!

- If you get a wing and no more, hold off until 2020 and try again. May be someone we like there. And the staff may think Mik and the Danielle's can hold the fort down low.

Stay tuned.