Ruth should be on that champ list (WNBA, NCAA, Gold medal)
by domerduck (2018-09-19 14:47:52)
Edited on 2018-09-19 15:01:38

In reply to: And Here's the U.S. Press Release With More Detail....  posted by dillon77

if they didn't include World cup but she was never put on a World cup team (thanks Geno). Seven of the 11 with those four championships are from UConn-the others Swoopes (Texas Tech), Catchings (Tennessee), Cooper (USC), and Griner (Baylor). Geno was on this selection committee again as well.

Ruth did win a Eurocup Championship for the Greek team Athinaikos in 2010 and I am not sure too many of those 11 players accomplished that. Still Ruth is on a more elite list of champions who also earned the WNBA MVP for the chammpionship and NCAA MOP for the championship which include only Swoopes, Ruth, Cash, Taurasi, Moore, Candace Parker, and now Stewart. BTW Candace Parker also has never played on a World Cup team which is hard to understand unless it's because she didn't play at UConn.

Edited to add Candace Parker: 2006 & 7 MOP & 2016 MVP. She also won 2 Gold medals.

Thanks for That Information! I Was Merely....
by dillon77  (2018-09-19 15:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...trying to capture active Domers, but -- hey -- anything on Ruth is AOK with me.

BTW, I also think Candace Parker is one fine player on all fronts (regardless of what anti-Parker folks think.).

Understood--I just was responding to the press release which
by domerduck  (2018-09-20 02:56:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stated "After helping the Seattle Storm capture the 2018 WNBA title, Stewart becomes the 11th athlete in history to have earned Olympic and World Cup gold medals, a WNBA title and NCAA Championship. The first 10 members of that exclusive group include 2018 USA teammates Bird, Griner and Taurasi; as well as Swin Cash, Tamika Catchings, Cynthia Cooper, Asjha Jones, Maya Moore, Sheryl Swoopes and Kara Wolters."

It's not clear to me why neither Ruth nor Parker got a chance to play in a World Cup which would have put them on that list. Since Ruth was on the 2004 Gold Medal Olympic team, I don't know why she wasn't on the 2002 WC team which won the World Cup or even 2006 where she could have made a difference since that team only got Bronze. Parker was on the 2008 & 2012 Olympic Gold medal teams so could have been on the 2010 and 2014 World Cup teams which the US won both.