The question was not what intrigues you
by BabaGhanouj (2018-09-24 08:36:50)
Edited on 2018-09-24 08:46:59

In reply to: Season approaching  posted by WAYOFJAY19_

about the coming season, but what factors will determine if we can repeat as champs. Ironically, what some of us are already exhibiting on the Bench may be the major factor for the team to repeat as champs: focus or lack thereof.

This year the components of focus will not be inescapable playing time and David vs. Goliath motivation. The team will have to find new reasons to focus. They will have to switch from the motivation of David to the motivation of Goliath. Basically, this is Homeboy’s number 1 answer which I agree with and stole. He calls it team cohesion. (NDLAW also lists it. He calls it “intensity”.) Muffet calls it team chemistry. I’ll call it team focus and motivation. As Homeboy says, how will they “maintain their killer instincts, be tough, and refuse to lose?”

At least I hope the team will have to find new motivation and reasons to focus, since equally important (for the team to repeat as champs) may also be cbiebel’s No. 1 answer (also stolen): Player health.

It was hard enough to win without Turner. It will be nearly impossible to win again if we lose starters who won it last year. We can’t be hit again with crippling injuries, or can we?

Third, and lastly, I’ll go with luck. That is the factor that every other final four team attributes to our winning, so I’d like to have it again.

Luck
by NOBBYDOMER  (2018-09-24 13:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with all the other ideas but laughed out loud on your comment re luck. In my spare time and with obsesssive behavior I watched a lot of the “stretch “ games...A&M, OSU, UCONN, MSU....we were seriously behind in so many games e.g. Tenn and somehow (coaching, defense....a zone!, unselfish offense )BUT really MSU’s center missing several bunny hooks, Ionesco disappearing, Tenn going stone cold, AO’s 3’s, Mabrey’s 3’s as the clock runs out....we were really fortunate. Let’s hope along with being incredibly skilled and well coached we ge5 some good bounces.

What Intrigues Me Is, In Large Measure, What the Irish...
by dillon77  (2018-09-24 08:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...need to do to win. That's how I was viewing it primarily in Augst and still am, now.

Upon reexamining my answers after a coffee, all I'd do is change the order a bit. The last is first....

I really think MM needs to establish a particular atmosphere that players are driven, happy and excited and then figure out playing patterns that maximize it. Last year was unique for many reasons and this one is interesting, too -- about as veteran a starting group as one can have, with a bunch of sophs and frosh chomping at the bit to join the party.

And the other suggestions/thoughts go from there: Center strategy, PG rotation, frosh play, etc. Or, some of these factors will lead to overall philosophy being fulfilled.

Nice recovery… ha, just kidding. Of course, I agree.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-24 09:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We go from a year of Muffet managing extremely scarce resources to managing a wealth of resources.

By the way, were you the one who wrote a paper which could be handed in for any course, from Shakespeare to psychology, and be assured a "B"?

Yeah...I think it's a challenge.
by dillon77  (2018-09-24 09:13:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and in one of (many) excellent interview she gave, she admitted as such.

The health concern -- particularly with the Irish's last season -- is a given.

Not concerned on iota with motivation:
- Arike was looking for another championship right after they won that won. And Marina wants to win at anything. Plus, you just know Bri wants to get one when she's ON the court.
- Rookies are going to fight like all get out to join the fray
- And MM will channel all that

It's a big year...I just did think one other factor:
- Don't put too much pressure on to be perfect early on. Enjoy, learn, keep getting better!