This has been in the minds, if not the pages, of Benchers
by BabaGhanouj (2018-09-25 15:18:10)
Edited on 2018-09-25 15:21:39

In reply to: IMHO, Can't Go Wrong With Either  posted by dillon77

for a while now. Sorry, I'm going to pass on a thoughtful, nuanced answer and just say to the question of "Would ND take both if it could?"

Hell, yes! …as would, I suppose, every college in the country.

I agree, you take both. Clark and Bueckers are both very
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-09-25 20:08:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

versatile, and ND will have only 1 guard in the 2019 class, so get both and Campbell in 2020. Notre Dame plays a lot of guards, and Gilbert, Prohaska and Nixon will be juniors when Campbell, Clark and Bueckers would arrive. I really don't think that ND gets Jones, but if the Irish did, then I am definitely being greedy. We also have to factor for injuries; believe it or not, sometimes you get a lot of injuries all at the the same time.

The other thing is that realistically, we won't get all these players. I remember when we were recruiting Samuelson, Collier, Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Durr (and we already had Patberg committed for the following year). I wrung my hands about who we would have to exclude, but of course it never came to pass. We got only 2 of the 5 and we still did pretty damn good!

So for now, I will be greedy and say yes to all of them (Jones in 2019 and then Campbell, Clark and Bueckers in 2020) if they would agree to commit. Hell, Clay Kallam says that Jones could defend positions 1-4 at a P5 level (but not quick PG and not huge PF), so she's very versatile too.

Thanks to both of you.
by oviedoirish  (2018-09-25 16:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd take both too.

not worried about guards
by pablo  (2018-09-26 08:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fact is, Muffet has always recruited good guards. I may be in the minority but I'm more concerned about landing a big at this point. In the freshman class we have one (Cosgrove) but still not sure if she plays down low or on the wing. In the current recruiting class, we just lost one to North Carolina, and we are apparently left with two remaining possibilities and I'm not reading much that gives me confidence on either. In 2019 class, Gusters has already eliminated us. If we don't land one in the current cycle, it really amps up the pressure to get one in 2019.

Understandable, as others are also worried about bigs.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-09-26 14:15:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not. (mostly) We have perhaps the best in the college ranks this year.

We have Mikayla Vaughn, Danielle Patterson, Danielle Cosgrove, and Sam Brunelle next year. We also have a decent chance at Aliyah Boston, who is a game changer—not the best chance as the Boneyard thinks we think—but a decent chance. [By the way, is there some alternate McGraw's Bench somewhere on the Web? I've read Boneyard posts saying that the Notre Dame fans believe Boston is theirs. I try to read every post here, and I don't recall a one that said that.] Jackie will also be grabbing rebounds in 2019-20.

In 2020-21, we have everyone from the year before, plus a really good chance, IMHO, of welcoming Natalija Marshall, who retweeted Allison Campbell's verbal acceptance of a ND offer.

I'd say we are sitting pretty. We will find out how pretty come November.

Also Not That Worried About Bigs....
by dillon77  (2018-09-26 18:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..I'm very intrigued to see Mik Vaughn come back once she's cleared to do so. She had looked very promising before her injury.

And up at the high post/forward slot, I think Danielle Patterson can only improve practicing against and playing with Ms. Vaughn, Shepard, Cosgrove and Turner this fall.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get one of the posts/forwards -- Amihere or Boston -- to join the Irish in 2019. But if nothing works out there, the Irish have Sam coming in at the high post and MM and staff can look for low posts in 2020. Having Vaughn available for four years helps here.