Well, She Took An OV to Storrs with Aubrey Griffin
by dillon77 (2018-10-03 16:46:37)

In reply to: Surely Geno never really gave her an offer. *  posted by goirish01

and Griffin just committed to the Huskies. Considering Horston is now the 2nd highest rated 2019 player by Hoopgurlz and was named MVP of the recent world championships, I think Geno would've loved to have her in the fold.

However, the mutual interest seemed to come up late in the process and never seemed palpable like, say Megan Walker (positive for UConn) or Sam Brunelle (not so good).

Based on Huskey faithful leading up to and just after her decision, it reminded me of The Bench's reaction to Evina Westbrook: was a very highly rated player; took a visit relatively late in the process; and then chose.....Tennessee.

Well, Horston showed she's a very gifted player this summer and can make teams better, particularly when she's with the right players and coaches. There's some good talent in Knoxville (Westbrook, Davis), but Holly's challenge is to mesh that individual talent into more of a cohesive unit, as Berube did (whether one cared for the way she went about it is for another thread).

I think its more than about basketball too.
by ndbutch  (2018-10-03 18:24:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In perusing the Boneyard since April a lot of UConn fans have really been stroking the impressive accomplishments of some UConn alum in the WNBA etc. I think a UConn fan was banned from this site for a trolling post on the subject. I just don't believe that has a lot of sway with these kids like it does potential NBA prospects in MBB. The WBB National Championship has a lot more sway and the past 2 years have shown you don't have to go to UConn to accomplish that. It's made arguments other schools have been trying to make since UConn ended up in the AAC more potent.

A football season weekend at Neyland Stadium vs one at UConn isn't going to favor the Huskies if that's something the recruit desires. It will trump which school has a better coach or put more girls in the WNBA. I'll leave it at the social life aspect but there are other advantages and disadvantages with WBB programs that can't be overcome by the prospect of becoming a multi-millionaire after 1 year of college like some men's programs.

I still believe that UConn will sign Boston and Stanford will sign Jones at this point. Strictly a guess.

I was being sarcastic
by goirish01  (2018-10-03 17:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UConn fandom proclaimed Brunelle, who was the #1 player in the country at the time, never received an offer from UConn right AFTER she chose ND.

Sorry for Missing....
by dillon77  (2018-10-03 19:28:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you just never know on boards, particularly when the message is a "header." And I was in the middle of a couple of data-dump posts at that time. Point well made. In fact, I think I used the same logic in a post or e-mail on the Boneyard.

I wonder if U.S. National Coach Berube, a Geno alum, turned him onto Horston, because the mutual interest was late and ultimately fleeting.
Holly may not coach those x's and o's all that well, but she does sell Knoxville and the Vols.

Psst …we need more emojis. (Don't tell Kayo.) *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-03 20:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought both yours and ndbutch's posts were hilarious.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-03 17:41:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dillon can be a little slow. (Everyone knows I'm KIDDING!) What made the posts even funnier is that there was a poster on the Boneyard who actually posted "watching her video made it clear to me she wasn’t UCONN material" …and he/she was serious.

I realize it is difficult to remember silly posts on the Boneyard, but "Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it." Sometimes I feel sorry for the mature Boneyarders because they must share their site with so many weirdos.

[I feel for you goirish, it's never fun explaining a joke.]