Great synopsis
by RISteve (2018-10-04 10:28:12)

In reply to: The Poor Rich  posted by BabaGhanouj

Even with their turnover, Uncle Geno and Saint Chris will be just fine. Be still my beating heart.

Meanwhile, out of the left coast, it seems Coach Graves and The Ducks are down to nine scholarship players as they recently lost a highly touted freshman to a knee injury.

Link, below, per Raoul:

Two more than they need! ;) *
by CJC  (2018-10-04 10:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed regarding the Ducks, they'll be fine without Nyara
by domerduck  (2018-10-04 15:34:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year. They have their 5 key players from their NCAA run last year including 2 AAs in Ionescu and Hebard. The Spaniard Cazorla and Oti Gildon will be their only seniors and now they have 5 star/ex ND player Erin Boley with 3 years of eligibility along with Nyara's older sister Satou, PAC12 Freshman of the year. That's their top 6 players and then the other 3 are two sophs, Australian Point Guard Yaeger , who was 4* top 100 recruit and 6'6" Giomi along with incoming Freshman guard, Arizona POY, Tayler Chavez.

I'm not feeling bad for Graves. He was still going to have playing time problems with the 10 he had. Watching Muffett handle a short bench, we all know it can be done if the starting 5 and top sub have the talent. No question Graves still has that and Erin will take a lot of PT as she gets added in. Nyara is considered possibly even more talented than her sister. I think it will be easier to fit her in next year which will work well with the other 4 returning starters they'll still have (Sabrina, Ruthie, Erin, and Satou.

Obviously it changes if they get another injury but I think they'll be challenging ND to the end.

What do you think they will get out of Boley?
by PWK2  (2018-10-04 15:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think she will be that helpful, ultimately. Great shooter, but lacking in quickness, doesn't pass much, doesn't rebound, not a great defender, doesn't run that well ...

Boley
by Orangutan  (2018-10-05 11:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND just won the national title with noted track stars Kathryn Westbeld, Jessica Shepard, and Koko Nelson. This is basketball, not a 4x400 relay.

You would think if any fanbase would refrain from the "she's too slow" comments it would be this one. But maybe that's my sensitivity after reading that year after year from UConn fans about ND.

I thought Boley was starting to show serious potential after a rough initial adjustment period. It would be a shame if we were all evaluated on our freshman year of college.

I think she has more passing skill especially than she exhibited at ND and she'll fit right in with the wide-open Oregon offense. The biggest thing is the floor spacing, which will help clear the paint for Ionescu. But she's more than a spot up shooter. She has the versatility to play inside in small lineups or outside in big lineups. The two-man game with she and Ionescu should be lethal.

I don't think she's anything special as a defender but that's not really Oregon's game anyway. They're just going to try to outscore everyone.

I missed the sarc at 1st. I was like, Koko & Shep ran track? *
by Jon  (2018-10-05 14:17:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At 6'2" she's replacing 5'9" 3 pt sharp shooter Lexi Bando.
by domerduck  (2018-10-04 23:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As much as I loved Lexi, Erin will be an upgrade as she shoots the 3 very well and her height is a big deal. She was a great practice player for them last year as I believe she improved a lot from her ND freshman year. With Sabrina and Cazorla they have their guard playmakers. I think you'll be surprised how effective she'll be.

Bando is faster and a better shooter
by Goirish01  (2018-10-05 01:05:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bando was the NCAA's active career leader in three-point percentage when she finished her senior season. No doubt Boley has a formidable three point shot herself, but Bando was lights out.

agree except for rebounding
by ram  (2018-10-04 18:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great shooter and good rebounder

needs to improve lateral quickness if she is going to try to guard 3s