Can someone remind me was was so great about Vaughn
by Jon (2018-10-05 21:17:57)
Edited on 2018-10-05 21:21:42

It's been so long. All I remember is that I felt about 80% of the tingle I felt 1st time I saw Young, and that is A LOT.

I just remember thinking, 'damn, she is NICE.'.

But now, can't remember specifics.

But, anyways, as our esteemed peer said, this season can't come soon enough.

Vaughn’s story about her “scar”
by RISteve  (2018-10-06 12:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting

Link, below:

Thanks. Mikayla's “Stronger Scars” story lets you learn
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-06 15:35:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about her and her injury, rehab, and recovery. It also answers the question when she will be back. From the story, "It took an excruciatingly long nine months before I was finally cleared for contact."

Also, a shout out to Bailey Cartwright, soccer player, who set the high school national assist record her sophomore year with 51. She had 79 goals as a junior. Bailey missed her freshman year of soccer at Notre Dame due to injury. She is founder of the "Stronger Scars" program.

Major impact in the Oregon State game
by NDLAW88  (2018-10-06 09:23:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We got off to a poor start and she came in and rebounded very well on both sides of the court and scored on putbacks. I remember foolishly posting after that game that she was better than Shep. God punished me for that, clearly.

And a Few of the So-Called Intangibles!
by dillon77  (2018-10-06 08:07:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Her father was captain and quarterback of the football team at Penn (He was interviewed during the broadcast of the Penn game last year). Could have a leadership gene.

When she transferred to Paul VI in high school for her senior year, she was named captain.

And a few from her bio:

- One of four kids, so she's gotta get along while also getting ahead

- Played lacrosse as a freshman. Tells me something about hand-eye coordination.

- She speaks French. Well! In fact, she won first place in the MCATFL French Oral Proficiency Contest in 2013. This will come in handy trash-talking the two French players on the Syracuse roster this year and when she and Kaitlin enter "Eurotalent" singing contests held in Paris.

- Speaking of -- and, as Baba noted -- she sang (albeit off-camera) at the ESPYs (along with Katilin Cole, another "wallflower"). I would've hit the kitchen.

Penn comes to ND on November 12. What will Mr. Vaughn do?
by 1NDGal  (2018-10-06 17:32:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet he goes full Irish, green head to toe.

I Think He Gets All Green, Too....
by dillon77  (2018-10-06 17:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..his wife made him root for the Irish when they were at Penn last year (in the Palestra, no less), so I imagine he'll be all in when visiting the Bend. Seemed like a real nice guy.

As a freshman playing in just 6 games...
by cbiebel  (2018-10-06 04:25:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She averaged 8.0 ppg and 4.3 rpg and had a total of 7 blocks and 3 steals. For a freshman post player, that's a great start.

more stats/analysis
by ram  (2018-10-06 09:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She played the equivalent of 2 full games (79 minutes).

Her per 40 minutes totals = 24-13 and 3.5 blocks

Even if you use the more common "per 36 minutes" she's at 22-12 (and, of course, 3.2 blocks).

and don't overlook the 4 assists, 14 offensive rebounds or 62% shooting percentage. To me, the assist total is outstanding for a freshmen Big playing fill in minutes and I love offensive rebounding.

She smiles exuberantly, sings at TV award shows, and,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-05 23:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reportedly, is the only one on the team who knows all the words to the alma mater.

My memory is that she was always in the right place on D
by 1NDGal  (2018-10-05 22:26:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and on offense, as though she had been playing here two seasons. She was careful with the ball and could frustrate ball handlers without fouling. Smooooooth.

Shes 6’4 and scored 30pts in her exhibition debut
by Goirish01  (2018-10-05 21:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Muffet referred to her as Baby Bri!