That Championship Season - Q4
by BabaGhanouj (2018-10-08 07:13:29)
Edited on 2018-10-08 07:16:24

We know that Jackie, Arike, and Marina were all in the top 10 in total minutes played during the 2017-18 season with Jackie leading with 1308 total minutes. However, how does that rank in minutes per game? Jackie led the team (slightly) with 34.4 minutes/game.

Of the 3,171 players who played more than 20 games, where does Jackie’s 34.4 minutes per game rank? Choose the best (i.e. most narrow/specific) answer.

A. In the top 25
B. In the top 100
C. In the top 200
D. In the top 500
E. In the top 1,000

My total guess.
by Homeboy73  (2018-10-08 08:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top 25, maybe top 100. If Jackie was in the top 10 in total minutes, that should relate relatively closely to being very high in minutes per game, recognizing that getting to the finals increases the aggregate number of games and minutes.

Answer
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-08 07:14:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C. Jackie ranked 188th, i.e. there were 187 other players who averaged more than 34.4 minutes per game. By the way Tyra Buss still ranked #1 with 40 minutes per game! For extra credit, is it possible to surpass Tyra Buss’s 40 minutes per game for a season?

I am guessing Tyra Buss never fouled out? *
by RISteve  (2018-10-08 10:43:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Regarding Tyra Buss: If OT Games Count,
by dillon77  (2018-10-08 08:52:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess you could average more than 40 minutes per game. That's unbelievable btw. Just think what Ali is walking into!

It is unbelievable.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-08 14:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't check how many OT games Indiana played last year, but to average 40 minutes a game you must be
1) indestructible
2) indispensable
3) indefatigable
4) probably a point guard
5) play for a team that is not great but not bad so they are playing tight most, if not all, of their games.
6) some other super human trait that I don't, as yet, understand.

Tyra Buss, aside from averaging 45.8 pts./game her senior year in H.S. with a 5.0 average (yes 5.0), must be an answer to a trivia question, "Who is the only player to win the National High School Coaches Association Girls' Basketball Player of the Year award and not be rated in HoopGurlz top 100?"

It is unbelievable (as in hard to believe), and, yes, good luck to Ali following in her footsteps!

Tyra Buss and Jackie Young Have A Lot More In Common
by dillon77  (2018-10-08 15:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Buss played her HS ball at Mount Carmel on the Illini side of the Indiana-Illinois border and her HS rival was Princeton, led by one Jackie Young. The high schools are 13 miles apart. The last time they played when Buss and Young were both in the lineups, more than 4,000 people packed the gym.

- They played for the same AAU team.

- They consider each other friends. This video says "best friends."

- Buss' Indiana Team won the WNIT the days before Jackie Young and ND won the NCAA.

- And, of course, both of them never (Buss) or rarely (Young) come off the court.

Buss was drafted by the Connecticut Sun but didn't make the team. She just signed a pro contract to play for a team in Greece, so maybe Jackie can go see the sights sometime next semester.

Amazing how tight things can be.

Of course, speaking of that, Ali Patberg (still #14) moves into the starting PG role for Buss. She knows Jackie, too.

Cool! I feel the shadows of Kennedy and Lincoln. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-08 17:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indiana played 3 OT games last year. Two of them
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-09 07:39:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lasted 1 OT period and one gane lasted 4 OT periods. So, though I don't think they led the nation in OT periods (or OT minutes), they were up there.

So much for my logic.
by Homeboy73  (2018-10-08 08:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting that Jackie’s extra games pushed her so far down from top 10 in total minutes.