That Championship Season - Q13
by BabaGhanouj (2018-10-17 07:25:15)
Edited on 2018-10-17 07:30:23

As many of these statistics showed, Connecticut was an incredible team last year.
In 32 team statistics ranked by the NCAA, Connecticut was first in 7:

Won-Lost Percentage
Assist Turnover Ration
Assists
Field Gold Percentage
Personal Fouls per Game (lowest)
Scoring Margin
Scoring Offense

They also ranked in the top 10 in ten more categories.

As steelertom writes, “The overall level of competition in the ACC is at a much higher level than the AAC. Stats do not always give the most accurate depiction of a situation/event(s).” Notre Dame played the toughest schedule in the nation per RPI. However, Connecticut was 2nd in the nation. Still, steelertom's point is valid, since the AAC teams were demonstrably less powerful than the ACC teams. However, their win-loss records, which help make up RPI, were formed against mainly conference teams. So, yes, UConn overall played easier teams than some others even though the RPI stat says they had the second toughest schedule. Statistics rarely are able to represent reality perfectly.

However, UConn did play Stanford, Maryland, UCLA, Notre Dame (2), South Florida (3), DePaul, Texas, So Carolina (2), and Duke, all of whom were in the top 25 at the end of the year.

Why am I praising UConn? Because we beat that incredibly powerful team, and though they remain powerful, we hope to beat them a couple of more times this year.

This may be my last preseason quiz question, but I’ll gladly pass the baton to someone else.

What player scored the most points in a game against UConn last year?

Replies: