USA 3x3 defeats China 21-9 in Youth Olympics semifinals
by Orangutan (2018-10-17 11:05:10)

Sam had 3 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

The two assists were two of the prettiest assists you will ever see. One was a an over-the-shoulder, semi-no-look flip to a cutting Bueckers for a layup. The other was a beautiful touch pass lob to Boston (see link for video of this one)

Brunelle and basketball bonding (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-18 07:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brunelle, Boston Look Very Comfortable ...
by dillon77  (2018-10-18 09:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in each other's presence. Don't know if that will translate into going to the same school, but there looks to be a lot of like and respect there.
Funny how one year makes a difference in how much more ebullient Hailey and Paige are than their one-year older "bigs."

Even a day later, I'm still remarkably impressed with Paige's day yesterday...blocked shots, long three's outdoors when everyone else had lost their legs.

My next-day thought on Sam: she wins games. You want her on your team.

ND needs to beat UConn twice and win the championship
by Tim Kelley  (2018-10-18 11:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

again this season to demonstrate current dominance. One should never underestimate UConn and Geno, but making them look less of a “sure thing “ would not hurt ND recruiting in the 2020 class and beyond.

Then get Bueckers and Fudd in successive years. *
by SorinBasement  (2018-10-18 12:30:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I would say the most impressive part of Paige's game
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-18 09:11:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is shot blocking. That's no feint praise because her passing, vision, ball handling, and shooting are astounding. While she's a wizard with the ball, I can't remember ever seeing anyone consistently move so quickly and athletically in blocking shots from every angle. She has extraordinary body control and quickness to go with those elastic arms.

And Then Obliterate France, 18-4, To Win Gold (link)
by dillon77  (2018-10-17 13:06:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Bueckers and Boston led the team in scoring with 6 each. Boston has got the pick and roll in her DNA.
- Van Lith does remind me of someone offensively when she takes it to the hole: Arike. The only difference is she loves to quickly pivot and shoot fade-away jumpers.
- They all play excellent defense.
- Bueckers is jaw-dropping in her overall excellence. They guys calling the game are still speechless from her performance in the semis and finals.
- Sam sees the floor and passes exceedingly well to whoever is open and/or hot. Team first.
- And, picking up on another comment down low...the fact that Coach Owens flew to Buenos Aires tells you everything about how much the Irish want Boston. Beyond smart move.

Way to go Boston, Brunelle, Bueckers and Van Lith. Well done and congrats.

They would make a pretty great starting 4 of 5 for ND! *
by oviedoirish  (2018-10-17 13:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They wouldn't need the fifth. *
by PWK2  (2018-10-17 16:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope these girls don't flunk out of school *
by Dave Winkler  (2018-10-17 12:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2/3 of high school is on-line classes now. My daughters
by btd  (2018-10-18 16:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both are home by 10:30 AM each day. They take 3 or more online classes. As seniors they also can take a work study "class" where they just get a job in the area and that counts as a class.

For my kids it allows them to be in tennis academies 3 hours per day. For players like these basketball players -- it allows them to travel a lot and miss very little class.

Sam's mom is her high school principal; so that's unlikely *
by Orangutan  (2018-10-17 13:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3x3 Games
by NDLOVE42  (2018-10-17 12:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach Owens is at the Tournament!

Coach Owens There Tells You How Much Irish Want Boston
by dillon77  (2018-10-17 13:05:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buenos Aires is not a flight to, say, Denver.

I didn't recognize anyone in the crowd, but someone did. (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-17 20:23:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaches watching recruit games
by hempfield75  (2018-10-18 00:08:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just curious, when a coach goes to events like this to watch players they are recruiting. Do they go as a fan, a coach/recruiter, or as a combination of both?

SEG/Chief

It's An Evaluation Period....
by dillon77  (2018-10-18 08:44:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...which began Sept. 30th and runs until Feb. 28, 2019. During an EVALUATION period, a college coach may watch student-athletes compete, visit their high schools and write or telephone student athletes and their parents.

However, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents off the college's campus during an evaluation period.

So, these college coaches can fly down to tournaments, watch and -- more importantly -- be seen. At this point, most (all?) of them have been in contact with the prospect and they want to show they're there for support, etc.

The only caveat is that I assume these NCAA rules hold for international play and/or for games outside of U.S. borders.

But if they do, a lot of institutions just paid a lot of coin to show the school colors. In our case, still good to support Sam, but the emphasis here is Boston and Bueckers.

…which sort of defeats the purpose of the rules.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-18 09:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my mind the evaluation period rules were not only for the student-athletes (give them more time for student activities), but also for the coaches (give them more time for coaching and take some of the burden off having to continually fly across the country to recruit).

It appears the coaches will do it anyway.

Thanks for the info
by hempfield75  (2018-10-18 10:01:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks to both of you for the info...

SEG/Chief

No idea, but great handle! *
by drmurray  (2018-10-18 08:22:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gotta believe! *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-17 12:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post