Summary of WSBT Radio Interview with Muffet
by MPG (2018-10-20 12:12:27)
Edited on 2018-10-20 12:17:34

On Thursday, Muffet replied to questions from Sean Stires and Eric Hansen during a radio interview. Here is a summary of what stuck with me:

The championship banner will be raised at the Penn game on November 12. Muffet has a good relationship with the Penn program and figured that more fans could be there for the pregame ceremony on the 12th than on the previous Friday's afternoon game vs. Harvard. The team was allowed to go home for fall break week.

The returning players are ready to battle for another title and enter the season willing to be the #1 team with proverbial "target on their backs." They are trying to teach the freshmen how much hard work it will take to repeat as champions. Muffet believes that defense will be much better this season.

The return of Brianna Turner will obviously improve the defense. She is 100% recovered and ready to play. She and Jess Shepard will play together and present opponents with a formidable high/low game.

Jess Shepard is being prepared to play the "glue" role vacated by Kat and Koko. She will also be doing some outside shooting to complement her exceptional high post passing.

Mikayla Vaughn had a great rehab and is ready to play. She began practicing during the week before the fall break. She is showing signs of rust with her skills, but Muffet is confident that she has great upside to her game.

Danielle Cosgrove has a lot to learn as a college level post-player, but Muffet already considers her to be the second best three point shooter on team, so at 6'4'' she will have some chances to play. (presumably Marina is the best three point shooter)

Marina Mabrey will start at the point, but will also see time as a perimeter scorer. She will take charge of the team on the court and be the emotional leader.

Jordan Nixon will play regularly as a heady, pass-first point guard. Muffet stated she is the first player she has ever coached who does her own review of the video from each practice. (Muffet was quite enthused about Jordan, so I assume that she will be the first guard off the bench)

Jackie Young is going to be a great player and her NCCA semi-final performance was a preview of what is to come.

Katlyn Gilbert has great potential, but has missed practice time with a shoulder injury. She should be ready to go when practice resumes.

Abby Prohaska will be the scrappy, dive on the floor player that we have expected her to be.

There were no questions about Arike, Danielle Patterson, the walk-ons, or recruiting. Muffet was positive and enthusiastic throughout the interview. I believe that you can find the podcast, if you search for WSBT 96.1 FM Weekday Sports Beat for October 18. I am ready for the exhibition game!

Replies: