Ohio State is inept. *
by hibernianangst (2018-11-11 12:47:31)
Edited on 2018-11-11 12:49:40

This user did not provide content for this post

Purdue beat Harvard by 1 in West Lafayette. *
by domerduck  (2018-11-11 17:45:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purdue and Harvard, 2 questions.
by traditionnevergraduates  (2018-11-12 13:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounded like a foul was called on Harvard with under 1 second remaining, was it legit?

How could Purdue only win by 1 at the buzzer?

Purdue Player Hit Second of Two Free Throws ...
by dillon77  (2018-11-12 15:00:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... after grabbing an offensive rebound. To be specific,
Ae'Rianna Harris hit the second of a two-shot free throw with 0.8 seconds to play to give the Boilermakers the one-point win. (see link below for whole story). Report does not say anything about it being a controversial call.

Purdue was down 23-10 after the first quarter and down by 4 at half. Harris, a center, had 19 points while Karissa McLaughlin, Purdue's PG, had 17 and 6 assists.

Harvard was led by Katie Benzan with 16. ND had done a good job on her last Friday.

Tough way to lose for Harvard...long trip back to Boston.

So, apparently, is Duke. Lost to Northwestern badly *
by NDLAW88  (2018-11-11 16:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As defending champs, they represent the lousy Big 10
by domerduck  (2018-11-11 14:09:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

conference very well. That loss to CMU at home will be felt for a while, especially considering two Midwest teams from the ACC got to play in three epic games in Columbus in the Final 4.

Ohio State didn't help their cause with Aliyah Boston
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-11 14:03:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

today, who was at the game.

I thought she already took her official visit there. Did she
by BTFNDGUY  (2018-11-11 15:23:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go on her own dime?

Yes, she lives not far away and has visited UConn many times *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-11 15:31:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let me add
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-11 20:12:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that, despite what many on the Boneyard believe, many here believe Aliyah has always been Connecticut's to lose, but many also believe, including myself, that it is certainly no lock for UConn.

Unlike cynics who think recruits travel around the country for their own whimsy, taking advantage of paid holidays on official visits, I see these young women as extraordinarily motivated to make every effort to find what they believe is the right school for them. They haven't put in all this work in high school and summer leagues to be cavalier about their choice. It would be crazy for them not to meet the players and coaches of the teams in which they are interested.

I'm sure many have favorites when they start their visits, but don't underestimate the value of an honest coach who is more concerned about a player's well being than their own ego, or real and potential teammates. It ain't over till the (high) stat lady sings.

A couple of interesting comments by one of the announcers
by McLean_ND  (2018-11-11 13:41:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Debbie Antonelli) -- she referred to the five graduate transfers that Ohio State has this year as "barnstormers" and questioned whether universities should let students attend summer school tuition free when more and more students are doing so to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule.

Interesting point, but
by Homeboy73  (2018-11-11 13:58:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do folks think college athletes take courses during the summer to allow them to graduate early with a view to a future transfer? Perhaps a few do, but that seems a tad too Machiavellian to me. I think the benefit to the athlete in taking summer courses (taking a lighter course load during the season) far outweighs the concern expressed by the announcer.

Agree, and I also think the players deserve more freedom.
by Kayo  (2018-11-11 19:45:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA has been more accommodating to transfers in general lately; but historically the system has favored the coaches and schools, not always in the best interests of the athletes. Coaches don't have to honor their contracts; but players who want to change schools have to sit a year even when coaches who promised to be there through their careers leave for greener pastures.

Debbie Antonelli is a product of the system as it has been - player, athletics administrator, broadcaster. Her perspective reflects that; but as more money pours into women's college basketball, the athletes' share of the benefits becomes relatively smaller. Free college is worth a lot; but it doesn't reflect a reasonable share of the revenue football and men's basketball generate; and it's starting to move in that direction for women's basketball. A little freedom for those motivated to finish school on time, if not ahead of schedule, while logging the hours that varsity sports require doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I understand that coaches want order and the ability to manage their rosters, especially after seeing how much the Irish could have used the two players who transferred last season; but the coaches get paid pretty well to cope with occasional departures.

Good thoughts.
by Homeboy73  (2018-11-12 08:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. No issues with players graduating and transferring to play immediately elsewhere as a grad student. I think the real issue (stating the obvious, which is a strength of mine) is under what circumstances can a player that has not yet graduated transfer and play immediately. More flexibility for the player there, as well as clearer rules (that don’t give way to gaming the system) should be the goals.