Post game press conference
by McLean_ND (2018-11-13 09:30:29)

Muffet wasn't happy with the inability to execute against the zone defense. Said the team has a lot of issues -- passing not where it needs to be, missing some easy shots, turnovers ...

Said the team really misses Marina and needs another guard (wasn't sure if she was conveying some lack of satisfaction with Nixon), said Abby brought great energy and mentioned she might get the foul record (which seemed to be a compliment), agreed with a comment from one of the people asking questions that she's like Hannah Huffman

Said they need to get the ball to Bri more, think she might have been saying toss it up in the air to her ...

Marina is day to day but they are going to be patient with her since its early in the year and she won't be back until she's fully healed

she did say Penn is a good defensive team and she knew nobody would be getting Big Macs from this game

Thx. Meshing the Presser with a Few Previous Comments...
by dillon77  (2018-11-13 10:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- I thought "another guard" was code for Marina, which she just said straight later on. Don't think it's a crack at all against any of the frosh.

- We had trouble against the Penn 2-3 zone. As MM said, Penn plays it well and we had some issues last year in Philly. As such, that was a tough match-up early in the season, which was made even harder with some new faces back in the line-up who don't know each other (Brianna and the point guard Jordan Nixon), two key components of the passing game not there (Marina and Kat Westbeld) and a player in a different place from last year (Jess).

Jess and Bri had some good interplay down low, but it's a bit harder to get the pass at the elbow and then deliver the pass than it might appear. Kat was a master at finding seams and then delivering the next pass or offensive move.

Marina is important collectively and individually. She knows all the starters and the ball will hum around the perimeter when she's back because they know each other. Individually, she's great at the entry pass into the high and low post and particularly good with skip passes to moving targets and, oh yes, putting it into the air, as MM wants.
Hard for Jordan, Katlyn or any new player to get that so early.

- I think one reason you saw a bunch of our posts' shots hit the rim or bottom of the backboard is they got the ball a step too late.

- MM seems to be getting exactly what she wanted from Abby Prohaska when you think about her comments when Abby signed. Tough player you want on the floor. I think the Hannah comments on D are obvious. But I see a bunch of Brittany Mallory, too..that field/court vision. Plus, let's give her some Abbiness, too: Like the way she drives and dishes. Soon she'll take it herself, as well.

- Bri looked tighter and righter..and it's just the second game. She's so fluid for a person who is 6'3" and even longer reach. Welcome back.

- Keep taking the elbow jumper, Jess!

- Jordan and Katlyn are not pulling the trigger on drives and/or pull-ups. Either thinking too much or deferring or some combo thereof. But the zone is difficult..gosh knows they'll get in a run and gun against DePaul.

- MM does not pull punches (she'll break my foul record; maybe I'll go drinking tonight).

What's today, Tuesday? Let's hope Saturday in Chicago finds Marina on the court, rather than talking up a storm to Arike when she came out for all of two minutes.

A Few More Observations
by MPG  (2018-11-13 16:09:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jordan has great communication with the coaches. She sometimes initiates conversations with them when the teams are lining up for free throws.

The Jessica and Brianna combination will give us some great moments this season.

I am concerned about Katlyn Gilbert and her ailing shoulder. My early impression is that we may not see her playing with complete confidence this season.

ND will see plenty of zone defenses this season, at least until Marina returns to action. She looked normal in her movement as she walked around the arena. However, quad injuries need to be completely healed before resuming play. Speaking of Mabreys, I find myself wishing that Dara was playing for ND...

I watched Danielle Cosgrove closely during the Penn game and she was not a factor in the paint or on the boards. Meanwhile Abby was a factor every minute that she was on the court, including drawing a charge and diving on the floor to cause a jump ball. The fans are beginning to take notice.

Once again there were no recruits at the game.

DePaul was 13 of 39 with three pointers in their opening victory over Green Bay. The Blue Demons were out-rebounded in that game, so it will be their outside shooting vs. ND's inside game with plenty of fast breaks.I hope to be at Wintrust Arena for Saturday's game.

Gilbert question
by txirish74  (2018-11-14 20:08:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going with your thought her shoulder isn't right, how many games can she play before she loses a chance at a medical redshirt?

If Need Be, Still Eligible for Medical Redshirt
by dillon77  (2018-11-15 07:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did some researching and I think it's based on these two criteria:

2. The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in sport and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

3. The injury/illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition, or 20% of the institution's completed contests or dates of competition in the student-athletes sport (whichever is greater.)

(So, the Irish would have until the 20% mark to pull the trigger on this, much like Mik Vaughn.)