Thx. Meshing the Presser with a Few Previous Comments...
by dillon77 (2018-11-13 10:45:44)

In reply to: Post game press conference  posted by McLean_ND

- I thought "another guard" was code for Marina, which she just said straight later on. Don't think it's a crack at all against any of the frosh.

- We had trouble against the Penn 2-3 zone. As MM said, Penn plays it well and we had some issues last year in Philly. As such, that was a tough match-up early in the season, which was made even harder with some new faces back in the line-up who don't know each other (Brianna and the point guard Jordan Nixon), two key components of the passing game not there (Marina and Kat Westbeld) and a player in a different place from last year (Jess).

Jess and Bri had some good interplay down low, but it's a bit harder to get the pass at the elbow and then deliver the pass than it might appear. Kat was a master at finding seams and then delivering the next pass or offensive move.

Marina is important collectively and individually. She knows all the starters and the ball will hum around the perimeter when she's back because they know each other. Individually, she's great at the entry pass into the high and low post and particularly good with skip passes to moving targets and, oh yes, putting it into the air, as MM wants.
Hard for Jordan, Katlyn or any new player to get that so early.

- I think one reason you saw a bunch of our posts' shots hit the rim or bottom of the backboard is they got the ball a step too late.

- MM seems to be getting exactly what she wanted from Abby Prohaska when you think about her comments when Abby signed. Tough player you want on the floor. I think the Hannah comments on D are obvious. But I see a bunch of Brittany Mallory, too..that field/court vision. Plus, let's give her some Abbiness, too: Like the way she drives and dishes. Soon she'll take it herself, as well.

- Bri looked tighter and righter..and it's just the second game. She's so fluid for a person who is 6'3" and even longer reach. Welcome back.

- Keep taking the elbow jumper, Jess!

- Jordan and Katlyn are not pulling the trigger on drives and/or pull-ups. Either thinking too much or deferring or some combo thereof. But the zone is difficult..gosh knows they'll get in a run and gun against DePaul.

- MM does not pull punches (she'll break my foul record; maybe I'll go drinking tonight).

What's today, Tuesday? Let's hope Saturday in Chicago finds Marina on the court, rather than talking up a storm to Arike when she came out for all of two minutes.

Replies: