ND recruiting article on UND.com
by Fighting_Artichoke (2018-11-15 17:18:12)
Edited on 2018-11-15 17:19:05

The article covered Brunelle and Peoples but did not state that ND still had yet to hear from two other recruits. I fear that augurs poorly for Boston and Jones. Please comfort me and tell me I'm wrong...

FWIW. TOS quoted MM as saying that she was not expecting any
by Tim Kelley  (2018-11-15 19:23:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more recruits from high school, but might look at transfers.

Thx. Do You Have a Link or Copy....
by dillon77  (2018-11-16 06:47:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that that story and/or quote? Would be interested in seeing if she says anything else.

After having read AA's article (posted above), I see that MM specifically cites grad transfers. That makes sense in that they'd be available immediately and just for one year, so Mik Vaughn and Danielle Cosgrove can get more experience, get some "veteran" input and then make way for -- knock on wood -- the 2020 posts (Marshall? Watson?).

The regular transfer route still mostly requires that year sit out (save for the 14 percent Raoul's research indicated for this year). Don't think that kind of transfer would help for 2019-20.

Stay tuned...

I’t’s from a pay site, so I shouldn’t link it, but Sbswarm's
by Tim Kelley  (2018-11-16 09:09:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

post basically covers it. Thanks for the input on transfers.

AA has the quote also. (link)
by Sbswarm  (2018-11-16 08:37:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry to hear that. Thought Boston might come. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2018-11-15 21:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's TOS? *
by goirish01  (2018-11-15 21:46:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Often, Terms of Service,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-16 09:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but like most acronyms it's supposed to save time and effort…oh, wait….

Acronym for “ The Other Site”. In this case Rivals 247. *
by Tim Kelley  (2018-11-15 22:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look to the past...
by cbiebel  (2018-11-15 18:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is a link to an article from Nov 12, 2008:

Kaila Turner Signs National Letter Of Intent To Attend Notre Dame In 2009-10

See any mention of "waiting to hear from any other recruits?" No?

Well, 8 days later they posted this article:

Skylar Diggins Signs National Letter Of Intent To Attend Notre Dame In 2009-10

My guess is that they don't want to run afoul of the NCAA recruiting rules.

And Here's Another Example That Was Open-Ended...
by dillon77  (2018-11-15 18:56:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND put out the linked release on Nov. 9th, 2016 to announce that Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn had signed. It didn't say this was it or if anyone else was being considered.

But they were: On Nov. 10th, Megan Walker went to UConn and Evina Westbrook chose UTenn.

So, it can go both ways. So maybe MM and ND decided to get the very good news out up front and see what happens.

And, like you said, I think it's open ended to keep in line with NCAA regs or some kind of understood recruiting protocol.

Still, crossing fingers for Boston and I'll happily be the shocked guy if Jones announces she's coming to S. Bend. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, welcome Anaya and Sam! Go Irish!

Quite interesting, thanks. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-15 18:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the hope! *
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-11-15 18:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGraw's comments re Sam
by Orangutan  (2018-11-15 17:31:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"One of our needs for this class was to find a shooter to replace Marina Mabrey and Brunelle is the best shooter in this class," McGraw explained. "At 6'3 she gives us versatility to post up smaller guards. She's a really good passer and unselfish player."

Almost sounds like she sees Sam as a wing rather than a forward. Maybe she'll be slotted at the 3 rather than 4.

Consider the source, but some BY folks have questioned how good her shooting ability actually is. Obviously, Muffet has plenty of confidence in that part of her game.

If "One of our needs for this class was to find a shooter to
by MPG  (2018-11-15 20:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

replace Marina Mabrey", then there must be a need to replace to All-American post players. Perhaps there is still hope for Boston, or the reference from Tim Kelley regarding a potential transfer.

Regarding Post Players....
by dillon77  (2018-11-16 06:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...who would've thought the injury to Mik Vaughn might turn out to be a blessing in disguise to the team. She's been granted a medical redshirt so 2018-19 is the first of four years of eligibility. Even if she does not use her fourth, ND is very lucky to have a post in place.

Still, you've got to figure that one post was something they (MM/Niele/Carol) were after. Maybe they were aimimg high, which is why it's come down to Boston.

Will see what happens, but if not:

- Pay big attention to Natalija Marshall and maybe even Kylee Watson.
(Brink is committed to Stanford and we're not on Gusters' or Reese's finalists lists).

- Coaches can't comment on potential transfers from an NCAA perspective, but that won't be until spring of 2019. Do go graduate to get one year to back up Mik? Or look at a "regular" transfer knowing that chances are she can't play until 2020? (Shepard immediate petitions are being approved at less than 20% this year, according to Raoul).

Hopefully, the Mass Pike to Worcester and Boston is still open...

Best shooter? Almost like she could be another Katie Lou. *
by Jon  (2018-11-15 19:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

…and now she's 6'3" *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-15 17:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't comfort you or tell you you're wrong, but
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-15 17:23:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think, since it is an official ND article, they don't want to say anything that would even hint of possible signings since it could be construed as a violation.

Article's timing
by Orangutan  (2018-11-15 17:28:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps they would delay the release of the article to the end of the singing period if it was felt that there might be additional signees?

I don't know, I don't take it one way or the other.

But I've already accepted that ND will not sign Jones or Boston.

Thanks for the hope. Oh wait, you ignored my request! *
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-11-15 18:34:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A pessimist can only ever be surprised by good things! *
by Orangutan  (2018-11-15 18:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoa, You Go Out To Shovel Snow and ....
by dillon77  (2018-11-15 18:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

-- Sam Brunelle grows to 6'3" and will be posting guards. She is highly versatile, as the 3x3 tourney showed, but I still think of her at the high post or maybe the wing when the Irish go big. In any case, great, great get.

-- As for the timing of the article, I'm used to seeing these types of announcements when the deal is done, positively or negatively on all prospects.

And even if the Irish did know the answer to Boston and Jones, isn't this kind of a tip about where the other prospects are not going?
Having said that, I didn't see MM say that's it, so maybe we're still in the hunt....

Still holding out hope for Boston...

But to end on a positive vibe, very excited to have Anaya and Sam. Peoples can most certainly play D and rebound. She and Abby will be in peoples' faces.

The deal is usually done by signing day
by cbiebel  (2018-11-15 18:30:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the past, when a recruit held out until later in the signing period, ND posted something about the initial recruits, then followed up with the other recruit later. See my other post in this thread for an example.

The reason why you are used to seeing all the recruits listed is because the other situation doesn't often come up.

Good point…oh well, we shall see. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-11-15 17:36:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post