OK I've waited a couple of hours...a few thoughts
by NOBBYDOMER (2018-12-02 20:31:36)

No reason to say anything but they played a lot better than we did....duh.
They outshot us.
They outrebounded us!!!
M&O were 10/31 from the field.
They made 85% of Free throws we made 66.7%.
Williams destroyed us...how many fast breaks, I didn't count.
When we were on the cusp of tieing the game (before we just started chucking up 3's where M&O were 1/12!!!!!), we'd miss a bunny lay up and make 1/2 free throws...
Some of the shots Samuelson made in the second half were unworldly.
Generally, our defense and strategy failed.

When we play them again, we can beat them but not playing like this.

Good game plan by UConn
by Orange_Irish  (2018-12-02 22:38:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can play better.

UConn did a better job of exploring match ups against us.

Shep and Mabrey got beat on drives too many times. And Arike played some matador D at times too.

Conversely, we weren’t patient with our matchup advantages - feeding Bri and Jackie (when KLM was on her).

We also got out worked on the defensive glass in particular at key moments.

These are all areas that can be fixed with more focus the next time they play

On the plus side, I liked what I saw from Patterson and her continued development alone will have us in better shape when we meet again

They outplayed us and won today, but
by MackyBoy  (2018-12-03 06:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think they are this powerful unbeatable team. I actually think ND is the better team, just that today's game went UConn's way. Next time we play, we might beat them by 18 and it would not surprise me if we did.

Other thoughts
by SixShutouts66  (2018-12-02 22:06:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. UCONN seems to do an excellent job getting us out of our offense into playing one-on-one basketball. Their athletic players cut off passing lanes very well and force us to make difficult passes.

2. One of our strengths the last three years has been our ability to score easy transition baskets. UCONN was very disciplined and made sure to get back to limit those points.

3. Most of the UCONN offensive possessions led to baskets or at least very makeable shots. I can't say the same thing for us.

4. UCONN took advantage of the size/speed mismatches or they were more sound defensively. Many of their offensive rebounds were the direct result of having to provide help defense when they drove to the basket.

5. I'm not sure we've fully integrated Jess and Bri working together into the offense. That will improve I'm sure.

6. Yesterday was not one of better performances in many aspects - nuf said.

Well-Put.
by dillon77  (2018-12-03 09:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the seconds half, UConn seemed to be very conscious of not allowing us to go in transition. Of course, they were also successful in crashing the boards so we couldn't get the ball to do so. Lot of second-chance points or scuffling for the ball, which cut down on breaks. And when we had it, Dangerfield or Williams was at mid-court to meet our dribbler.

I’m a bit concerned about them
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-12-02 21:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A veteran team that seemed to learn so much about themselves on the way to the NC having an epic meltdown could indicate a number of possible issues. I’m hoping it was just something that calls for some soul searching and refocusing. Getting embarrassed at home on a national stage will do that.

We miss Kat and Koko
by Orangutan  (2018-12-02 21:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People forget that they were 1/3rd of the 6 that won the NC. And they were both calm, steady veteran presences that did the little things.

I trust this team will find it's way in time. But it may be a more arduous journey than some expected.

Boy, Was I Thinking That During the Game Yesterday
by dillon77  (2018-12-03 15:10:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kat in particular.

Her ability to help keep the motion offense going from the high post would've come in handy yesterday: the high-low pass, the ball reversal to the weak side, the baby jumper, even the scoop layups.

And Koko's ability to mix it up and lay a body on someone.

Sometimes when one adds up those little things, they're pretty big.

Like you said, I think the tools are most certainly there and I'm sure MM would like to have them all around at the same time to get this souffle started. Glad there's a lot of basketball to be played.

I will add
by RISteve  (2018-12-02 21:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have kept quiet too:

UConn wanted it more
UConn was tougher
UConn was more aggressive
UConn executed their game plan
UConn was highly-motivated
UConn was the better team today. And that is an understatement

Hopefully, the recruits were not turned off

Horrid performance all around. Let's move on.... *
by Wolfetone  (2018-12-03 07:40:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post