Respectfully disagree
by Orange_Irish (2018-12-03 15:00:49)

In reply to: Hard to even make lemonade out of this one.  posted by BabaGhanouj

Here's why I respectfully disagree about reading more into the loss that extrapolates to a bigger issue for the team this season:

- UConn played as well as they could - they could not have shot any better or gotten anymore 50/50 balls; and we still went toe to toe until the 4th quarter. I mean, that bank shot/flop "and 1" from KLS showed it was their day.

- Compare that to ND shooting 8% from three and 66% from the free throw line. Credit to UConn's D effort, but we also missed open looks and free throws that we won't miss in most games.

- Every year since I can remember, Muffet's teams have improved significantly on O in how they play up to December and after December. The O yesterday looked like a team who hadn't played much with Marina or Bri in the lineup and still has to develop chemistry. The chemistry and flow will continue to improve. I think we'll see it in January.

- We missed having a true PG to start the half court O, and, guess what, that won't be an issue for long when Nixon is ready. The more MM can play on the wing, the better it is for this O. Sure, she can clearly handle point at a high level, but she's just such a threat as a scorer on the wing.

- Patterson is just scratching her potential and her growth will improve our D exponentially against teams with athletic bigs. Shep had trouble with the match-up, but if she was spelled even more, she probably would've gotten more of those "almost" rebounds

- Did I mention how many 50/50 balls UConn got?

Replies: