Oregon Athletic Department put on probation for
by McLean_ND (2018-12-05 15:01:03)

violations in several of its sports programs, including women's basketball. The article says Oregon women's basketball coach Kelly Graves "failed to monitor his staff and promote an atmosphere of compliance and suspended him for two games ..."

Oregon crossed some chalky lines but I like Canzano's take
by domerduck  (2018-12-06 16:46:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the Oregonian on this "NCAA should have slapped University of Oregon with a nap. It's trying too hard to win".

It looks like Graves "was too candid to lie or plead plausible deniability -- admitted he should have done better." It seems on the same plane as the men's bball and football program offenses. The track & field offense was the only academic issue: "When the university discovered the grade change, the instructor, who was not familiar with NCAA rules, told the university he would have made the same accommodation for any other student, regardless of student-athlete status," the NCAA release said.

I like Graves and I think he knows it's going to take a lot of effort for Oregon to get to the top over, ND, UConn, Baylor, Maryland, and SEC schools who have won all the NCAA women's championships this century. The Pac 12 this year is a very competitive conference. but hasn't won a championship since 1992.

Attached is the Oregonian's article.

Don't get the excuses for Graves - he knowingly broke rules *
by Orangutan  (2018-12-06 17:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excuses, excuses
by Murcer68  (2018-12-07 14:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He knew what he was doing, and did it anyway. Stop the excuses.

Agreed
by Coyoteugly  (2018-12-07 13:24:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact that this ended up at the NCAA is what points out there is something there as usually they do nothing.

Very inconsistent with our vacated wins
by Flanner89  (2018-12-05 17:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the findings, "An adjunct instructor altered a course grade from an F to a B-minus for a women's track and field student-athlete, which allowed her to remain eligible and earn a degree."

So an instructor changing a grade to keep an athlete eligible is considered not as severe as what happened at ND in 2012 involving a team manager (or whatever the title)?

I do believe they are different. Here is a short RH summary
by domerduck  (2018-12-06 16:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that HTownND provided 2 days ago. I also believe the NCAA has lot's of problems and wish they had been more lenient with ND on the vacated wins. Compared to the "nothing"that happened to North Carolina, it was absurd.

I think I also read the track program had to forfeit meets *
by El Kabong  (2018-12-05 20:10:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post