Now every team knows…
by BabaGhanouj (2019-01-11 00:02:58)
Edited on 2019-01-11 00:07:45

The Notre Dame women's basketball team loves to run and is great at it.
They don't seem to love or play great half court ball (except maybe the last few minutes of a game).

At this point, if you want to beat ND, don't let them run, and make them play half court ball. That has been pretty successful for at least two teams. Of course, both those teams were pretty good. On a neutral court, who knows what would happen. Thank goodness for the crowd. Fantastic job!

Hopefully this season we will learn to love and play better half court ball. How can one not love this team, but currently their half court offense is often dribbling or passing further and further away from the basket to the point where they are in jeopardy of crossing the half court line. This was a tremendously exciting game, a great win, but as Muffet would say, we still have a lot of work to do.

My one hope: The team will settle for a "good pass" and
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-01-11 13:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not look so much for the "great pass". That has really been an issue this year. Onward!!

I think the IRISH are a great half court team
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-01-11 13:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last nights game didn't allow for it so they ran very well.

Huh? Were we watching the same game?
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-11 15:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame averages 28 transition points per game this season, 3rd in the nation. As I said, they love to run and are great at it. Last night they scored 15 in transition, about half their average. Last night's game didn't allow for them to run (as much as normal) so they had to play half court—the exact opposite of what you stated.

Their half court game wasn't terrible, but still could use work. I'm thinking away from the ball screens, back door cuts, plays off of double screens—what we were treated to when Natalie Achonwa and Kayla McBride confused the opposition in half court. Did you really mean last night's game was more about running than half court?

ND needs a Point Guard
by TerryND83  (2019-01-11 11:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If NDWBB had a true point guard, their half court offense would be much better. Mabrey is really a #2 guard trying to play the point and with teams like UCONN and Louisville, she gets out played quickly. When they switched to Jackie Young playing the point, ND improved and Mabrey was able to start scoring. This happened last year. I think for the final four games, MM eventually had Jackie and Arike bring up the ball.

In case anyone was wondering if Jenna Brown was the answer
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-11 12:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First let me say that it's really not fair to judge freshmen especially this early in the season. So this isn't to disparage Jordan Nixon or Ms. Brown.

But for the record, these are Jenna Brown's current stats for Stanford:
She has played in all 13 games
Averaging 10.2 mpg
Averaging 2.0 ppg
Averaging 1.6 rpg
Shooting 30% (1-8 on 3 pointers)
Assists 19
Turnovers 10

So as a freshman, she would not have been the point guard solution this year if she had gone to ND

And it's not fair to expect Jordan Nixon to be the answer either
Better shooting, but turnovers are her bugaboo at this early stage and also had injury to deal with
She has played in 11 games
Averaging 19.1 mpg (a little misleading - played more against lesser teams)
Averaging 3.3 ppg
Averaging 2.0 rpg
Shooting 44% (5-11 on 3 pointers)
Assists 22
Turnovers 30

Ali Patberg is tearing it up at Indiana. That’s the PG we
by btd  (2019-01-11 20:30:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re supposed to have right now. She’s averaging about 18 ppg last I looked and Indiana was ranked for the first time in many years.

Also a matter of talent.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-11 08:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MM's teams/offense struggles more when the other team also has top players and they play a pushy, in your face defense. What team wouldn't struggle in that sort of situation? Love them or hate them Geno and Waltz both preach aggressive defense and at least at the moment have great players to challenge ND.

I think the reason why this team looks so good on the break is that is what they are seeing in game situations no matter the opponent. This team is lethal off a steal or a quick clean rebound because that is what they see game in and game out. Even in games where they see tough, aggressive defenses, they seldom see teams that have the athletes to keep up with them, so they can break them down or just continue to feast on the breaks.

That is very true. Louisville had a stifling defense in
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-11 09:55:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

half court similar to UConn. It was great to see ND overcome that. Louisville’s foul trouble was a big issue and I believe to a great extent was related to the tempo of the ND offense. Arike’s (and the teams’s) energy at the end of the game was exciting to see.

Last point. I love Amin as a play by play announcer and that announcing team is the best in women’s BB. They were great during last year’s tournament.

I'll forever have a man-crush on Amin.
by PWK2  (2019-01-11 14:38:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a crush on the entire crew, including Holly, for their NCAA calls last year. And beyond that, they're some of the best in the game.

Yes, and true.
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-11 09:13:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We do practice against quick, athletic men, however. Can't we learn from that?

while true, it's hard to instill that same sort of ethos.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-11 13:32:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly for a scout team. I am not sure how you can get any group to have that same ingrained personality that a UCONN or UL coached team has. Not with a few practices or weeks a year. Probably not when they're trying to give a show of offensive and defensive plays and principles. I would think that sort of defense takes a good deal of honed practicing that the scout team just doesn't have time for.

I think we have learned. . .
by NDLAW88  (2019-01-11 09:32:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND could barely get the ball up court against Louisville last year. MSU pressed us like crazy in the second quarter. It seems that Jess and Bri are used much more as outlets to get the ball up court and to initiate the offense rather than having MM or JY dribble away too much time to start the offense.

We were more aggressive yesterday driving to the hoop against the Cards' pressure, which led to a lot of the early foul calls. This is much more of JY's specialty than MM, so having JY assume all point guard duties in the second half was a good move. MM had a brutal stretch of bad passes in the 2nd quarter.

Agree. MM Saw The Same Thing...
by dillon77  (2019-01-11 09:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..regarding Louisville's aggressive man-to-man, in-your-face defense. It does not play to Marina's strengths, but to Jackie's dribbling ability. Good. solid coaching move.

We'll play other teams that sag into a zone and require someone who has more of a "move the ball around and get everyone in position" approach or just plays soft man. Back to MM maybe.

For those who have the chance, listen to MM's presser. It's apparent she's looking to do certain things based on the scouting reports we have coming back.
This team has so many strengths that they can adjust what's necessary against teams that have excellent personnel, such as Louisville.

I never thought I’d see a Muffet coached team struggle
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-11 08:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the half court offense. I just assumed it was in the DNA of the program. Is Muffet perplexed or okay with the emphasis on the fast break?

Agree, and....
by pablo  (2019-01-11 08:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the half court game is affected by the lack of a true point guard. I thought coming into the season that this is our one vulnerability. It's clear that MM is not the answer and credit coach for making the change and moving Jackie Young to point. Jackie may have to stay there at least until Nixon's game arrives. And speaking of Jackie, boy is she overshadowed by the stars on this team but in my mind there is no one more valuable. Rarely has an off night and does whatever is needed--run the point? check, pass the ball? check, rebound? check, score?. check A really complete and unselfish player.

Not sure if she was the one that threw the pass in the 4th
by graNDfan  (2019-01-11 08:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the top right of the key to the underside left - threaded it through a needle for a layup. Just a spectacular pass of a layup right when we needed it. I tell my daughter to watch her even when she doesn't have the ball - just a great team player on a team of great players.

When this team is on it is a joy to watch...

Great role model for your daughter
by pablo  (2019-01-11 08:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that was a spectacular pass and, as you said, exactly what we needed. That's what I love about her. She just knows what the team needs. She stepped up and kept us close in the first half. In the second half she backs off scoring when Arike goes off and focuses on getting her the ball, rebounding and playing D. She just fills in where needed.

...that Arike is the GOAT. *
by SorinBasement  (2019-01-11 08:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Rebounding Is the Key to the Running Game....
by dillon77  (2019-01-11 07:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some kind of defense enables that, too, otherwise you wouldn't have the rebounds.

But grabbing the rock and then letting it go is the key. And as Kara Lawson pointed out last night ad infinitum, Jess Shepard is the best in WCBB (WBB?) and the quick outlet pass upcourt. It's such a shame she got into foul trouble in the 2nd half because I think she would've had 20+ rebounds last night.

They should put a compilation tape together of her rebounds and outlet passes for young posts...glorious stuff to watch!

(P.S. You covered the running, but my one point there is just how well all the guards look to pass on the break. In fact, there were one or two times I thought Arike or Jackie should've taken it to the rack.)

We played some great D in the second half.....
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-11 07:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Diving to the floor,getting hands on the ball, and making timely
steals.

NO it depends
by Coyoteugly  (2019-01-11 11:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did not our defense was attrocious, Louisville were in foul trouble and couldn't even have their starters on the floor and we cannot even guard their bench. If I was MM I would be benching some players.

Fouls
by hempfield75  (2019-01-11 17:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only response I am making is Louisville in foul trouble. We finally got a ref crew that was fair and made some calls in our favor. Does not happen often. MM and the team took advantage of their aggressive defensive play. Plus give our girls credit. They did not back down. Everyone on our team was just as physical. That is why we almost lost Jess....

SEG/Chief

Vaughn’s best game. *
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-11 00:38:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vaughn, big baskets and rebounds
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-01-11 06:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

love her upside!!

Taking on the Koko role
by NDLAW88  (2019-01-11 08:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Drew a big charge. Big rebounds/layups and put backs. Solid rebounding and defensive presence. Had a big impact in the 3rd and 4th Q, especially when the lead evaporated.