Oh, I agree! I do like Walz and agree completely with you.
by BabaGhanouj (2019-01-11 10:12:18)

In reply to: Look, I don't like Walz, but this is not remotely his fault  posted by Orangutan

Maybe I was wrong to post this. As I said I was just feeding the flames.

USA Basketball Made a Mistake and the Alabama Athletic...
by dillon77  (2019-01-11 11:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..organization has taken this to the casebook of how not to lead.

As Orangutan pointed out, NCAA athletes are permitted to be compensated for lost wages incurred while training for/competing for USA Basketball. Of course, the issue was that that Davenport was in high school, as was one Anaya Peoples, who also received a check.

There are two competing versions of what Peoples did (one from an ESPNw story and one from Savarese's boss, who was trying to draw a distinction with Davenport. The main point is that Anaya (and her parents) called high school authorities and asked about the check. Upon being told it was a no-no, she either returned the check and/or funds immediately, thereby keeping her eligibility intact).

Maybe Walz got his "can do, can't do" mixed up, but he wasn't the only one.

The Alabama organization and it's governing body is right now hiding behind the literal letter of the law, not the intent and that's just lame leadership, in my humble opinion. Maybe suspend her for a game or three, but a whole season?

As Baba has brought up in the past, Walz has done a good job with ND recruits on teams he's trained, including Anaya Peoples, Jordan Nixon and Abby Prohaska. I happened to like the way he played all his players in the recent regional tournament, even though it cut down on the ultimate scoring margin. If you're going to be on a national team, let's see what they have (in most instances, that team faced tougher competition in the tryouts than the games.).

This is the best explanation I've read with the fewest
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-11 11:58:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

amount of words. [Always a struggle for Dillon 😉.] I highlight "The Alabama organization and it's governing body is right now hiding behind the literal letter of the law, not the intent and that's just lame leadership"

Of course that doesn't mean the distinction is trivial in all cases. Life can be complicated. (There is always a "however".)

Recall Sir Thomas Moore in A Man for All Seasons:
Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

However, I'm fully on Orangutan's and Dillon's side, here.

BTW, Judge Just Made A Ruling Allowing Her To Play
by dillon77  (2019-01-11 12:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as for prose copy, I would not do well on twitter.
(which is odd, because back in the day, I enjoyed writing headlines)

Courtesy of Sam (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-12 10:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post