Similar to Tim, here are some, likewise, thoughts.
by BabaGhanouj (2019-01-14 10:33:43)
Edited on 2019-01-14 11:49:04

In reply to: I'm just saying that from my perspective at this point  posted by Tim Kelley

The Board recently has begun to wade into the waters of next year’s pool of players, both in recruiting, but more specifically what next year will bring to the court. It may be premature to judge next year’s team, but I don’t think it’s premature to be having these discussions, albeit with the understanding that, while we have some information, we really don’t know how these women will advance. I’m willing to share my thoughts, if only for stimulating speculation.

The projected starting 5, I see as Jackie Young, Mikayla Vaughn, Daniel Patterson, Jordan Nixon, and Katlyn Gilbert. Abby Prohaska may prove me wrong, and I believe that she could play more minutes than some starters if defense, more than offense is deemed a bigger problem.

I hate to say this, but the first order of business will be to lower expectations for this group compared to this year. Last year I repeatedly spoke out against lowering expectations or falling into the “next year will be our year” syndrome. Sure I got worried when Lili went down, but I knew (or thought I knew) the incredible talent of Jessica Shepard. But next year’s group doesn’t project as well.

By the numbers, this year’s starting 5 hold a average (high school recruiting) rating of 6.4. Next year's projected lineup will be 28.5. That’s a huge jump. Hold on, I know there’s more to basketball than high school ratings. Mississippi State has repeated shown that, and could again this year. If it was up to high school ratings, UConn would be running away with the race. I also know that Mikayla Vaughn is not a 67.5. No way! However, with the exception of Jackie (admittedly, a large exception), we will have top 20ish rated players, not top 10ish, and those will be very young.

Additionally, with the exception of Vaughn, there doesn’t appear to be an Arike or a Marina personality in the bunch who will just play with abandon. At this time I see next year's team as a major challenge for the coaching staff and for our high expectations.

Replies: