Hands up to guard your face
As basketballs they fling,
…for losing’s a disgrace.

They’ll claw, and kick and shove.
No broken bones nor scars
They'll heed, to rise above,
For that’s the way things are
…when sisters show their love.

Especially after those newspaper articles, I’m inspired for a Mabrey vs Mabrey, winner-take-all, cage match. Are there two fiercer competitors in college basketball?

Dara went her own way and it has paid off. She is averaging 26.6 minutes per game, 12 points per game and 48.1% from the outer circle. Marina, as a freshman, averaged just under 19 minutes per game, 10 points and 45% from the arc. Marina scored 35 three’s total during her freshman year, Dara already has made 37!

Of course, if we compare the sisters in overall Efficiency this year, Marina flies in with 16.0 while Dara’s Efficiency rating is 10.6. Freshman versus senior does that. (Note, one really can't compare Team Efficiency with Player Efficiency. Notre Dame's Efficiency is higher than any one player.)

Dean Oliver’s Four Factors Applied to ND vs Virginia Tech
TeameFG%TOV%ORB%FT/FGA%Weighted Average (40 25 20 15)Weighted Difference (40 25 20 15)Team Efficiency
Notre Dame54.8%16.3%31.6%26.3%7.03.322.8
Virginia Tech 51.4%17.3%25.9%21.3%6.217.5

I included an overall calculated team efficiency rating. I'm not going to weary you with the formula (unless someone is interested). It's pretty standard, but there are different one's out there. Based on what the teams have done this year, Virginia Tech barely touches Notre Dame's garment hem.

What stands out for me is that Virginia Tech must overcome a decided rebound advantage by Notre Dame.

Replies: